STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

07 NNBS door speaker replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I checkeed out crutchfield and. The speakers by the headrest are 4x6. Anyone ever change out these speakers? The damn seat can't fold up but like 4", stupid design.

Will a 51/4 speeaker or a 6" speaker fit in there? That would be so much better.

I found some kick *** 6 3/4" speakers for the doors. One set are Alpine SPR-17S. The other set I am leaning toward are JL Audio 6w3v-4 ohm. Anyone run these? Please enlighten us all. I am not sure they will fit but they look like they would rock. The magnet is almost as big as the speaker.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

im trying to upgrade my stock speaker in my 07 GMT900 extended cab. from what i have been told, the fronts are 6.5" components and the rears are 4x6. I have the non Bose system. So is this accurate?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Yea, thats whats in mine. 6.5 in the doors and 4x6 in the sides by the headrest. Have you removed the panels covering the back speakers? tell me how that goes, if you dont mind. I dont want to break any of those little clips. What are you upgrading them with?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

so the speakers are the same in the reg cab and extended cab? i havent had a chance to look at mine.

as far as the fronts, i think im gonna go with Boston Acoustics PRO60, and i dont know about the rear.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Launching!

I am not 100% about it, but I can't imagine gm changing the speakers from one truck to the other, besides the bose system. Look up your truck on crutchfield. Kom and see what they tell you it has.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bow-Tie-Beast
Well, I checkeed out crutchfield and. The speakers by the headrest are 4x6. Anyone ever change out these speakers? The damn seat can't fold up but like 4", stupid design.

Will a 51/4 speeaker or a 6" speaker fit in there? That would be so much better.

I found some kick *** 6 3/4" speakers for the doors. One set are Alpine SPR-17S. The other set I am leaning toward are JL Audio 6w3v-4 ohm. Anyone run these? Please enlighten us all. I am not sure they will fit but they look like they would rock. The magnet is almost as big as the speaker.
4x6 spaces make it hard to convert to other sizes (5-1/4" or 6-1/2") mainly because they don't leave enough room to make a bracket or spacer to make a larger speaker fit. You can try but usually areas next to the head rests don't have as much room as you think once you pull the plastic panels off.

As far as the speakers you found the Alpines would work just fine. The JL Audio speaker you picked out is actually designed for subwoofer aplications and is not recomended for a full range aplications. I have an older set of the 6w0 and the magnets were just as big as the ones now. There pretty impressive. I had two setup in a t-line box in my old sonoma. They pounded like two 10's with around 150w. (t-line boxes are very efficent). Again they are great speakers but they are not intended for free-air, full range sound. JL audio does have some nice mids and highs at pretty decent prices. Check out thier C2 models.

And finally as far as your factory headunit goes I don't know for sure but I would put money on you looking at a max output of probably around 15-20 watts. RMS would be around 10 watts or so. Pretty typical of factory headunits.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Thanks for your insight. I was looking at the side pillars yesterday and noticed that there isnt much room between the speaker and the seat belt bracket, so upsizing them is not happening. Whats a good, strong 4x6?

Those JLs would perform better in a box as subs? Didnt think of that. Please forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a t-line box? Is it a t shaped sub box? LOL! If those are more of a sub speaker, I could fit a small box behind the seats without taking up much room, if I could squeeze it back there without completly removing the seats. Has anyone figured out a way for the NNBS seats to fully fold forward, so that theres access behind it?

I figured the factory unit didnt pull much, so I have also been looking into head units. Damn, are they expensive. The ones I like are anyway. I have been looking at Alpine INA-W900BT and Kenwood DNX7160. There purty badass. I wasnt really planning on a system when I started this thread but Its looking like I am heading that direction. Oh well.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a real pain in the ***, the actual panel comes off easy, the problem is that they're plastic rivited to the piece that goes all the way across the back, and those are easy to break/lose. I don't know why GM decided to screw us all on the folding seat, I hate the fact that it doesn't fold all the way over anymore. And I know I'm not the only one that has complained and I won't be the last one either.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I cus those seats everytime I need to use that space. I guess I will have to take the damn things out just to replace some speakers. Will make for easier wiring but what a hassle.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bow-Tie-Beast
Thanks for your insight. I was looking at the side pillars yesterday and noticed that there isnt much room between the speaker and the seat belt bracket, so upsizing them is not happening. Whats a good, strong 4x6?

Those JLs would perform better in a box as subs? Didnt think of that. Please forgive my ignorance but what exactly is a t-line box? Is it a t shaped sub box? LOL! If those are more of a sub speaker, I could fit a small box behind the seats without taking up much room, if I could squeeze it back there without completly removing the seats. Has anyone figured out a way for the NNBS seats to fully fold forward, so that theres access behind it?

I figured the factory unit didnt pull much, so I have also been looking into head units. Damn, are they expensive. The ones I like are anyway. I have been looking at Alpine INA-W900BT and Kenwood DNX7160. There purty badass. I wasnt really planning on a system when I started this thread but Its looking like I am heading that direction. Oh well.
Yeah its hard to belive that people would use a 6" speaker for a subwoofer but there are aplications that it can be used. (ie mazda miata, mini coopers, other small vehicles or people that want just a little more boom than stock) JL audio designed the surrounds, spider, voice coil and magnet to perform as a subwoofer. Im not saying that it wont "work" as a mid but I am saying it won't "perform" as a mid. (does that make any since?) It may be able to make the deeper vocals and some mid range but it may be pretty muddy sounding. I would look into a set of mid/high components vs trying to get away with using the JL 6" subwoofer.

As far as T-Line boxes they are pretty complex. MUCH more so than a ported or sealed box. The down size to T-Lines is that they are f-kn huge! I designed a box for a friend using two JL 13w7 in a Harley F150 and the box took up almost the entire bed of the truck. He could barely fit a set of golf clubs in the bed of his truck when we were finished. BUT......I have yet to hear ANY other system hit frequencys as low AND hard as that box could and I have been around car audio for a LONG time. We played songs that my friends and I have heard over and over and that box produced frequencys that we had NEVER heard on thoughs songs. They are fun but a bitch to build and are HUGE. The T-Line that I built for my JL 6w0s took up half of the ext cab on my sonoma that I used to drive.

Quick Reply: 07 NNBS door speaker replacement...