STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Adding another sub

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding another sub

I got a quick question real quick..

Currently I have a MTX 500W driving a Rockford P2 10". Surrounding speakers are infinite references.

Sounds pretty good taking into consideration that this is all fed off the stock HU.

My question for ya'll is.. I wondering if I added a second sub into the truck (same thing). Would my bass hit harder? I had a few buddies of mine telling me that I would actually have less bass but a cleaner crisper sound to it.

The EQ settings I have currently are treb-full, mid-full, bass-half. If I turn the bass up anyway, it actually does noticeably hit alot harder but kind drains out the trebs/mids.

Which is why I was sorta thinkin that adding a second sub would give it a much fuller bass effect without the draining out issue. Follow?

I do have future plans of adding another amp to drive the speakers. But not at this moment.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

a second sub will technically add about 3 db more of sound and will hit harder and will be louder, which i am guessing you dont want since the one already drowns out your music. the only way it might be cleaner and not as loud is if by running a second sub off the same amp you give each sub less power than you gave the one to start with....dont know what your amp ratings are though so dont know for sure.....
Old 06-25-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I mean not necesarilly harder hitting..

but a fuller sound. If I had two subs running off one amp... wouldn't it have a fuller bass sound to it?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

fuller? not necessarily...it will be louder but wont blend into your music as well as just the one.....the only way to have fuller bass is to have a different size sub hitting frequencies that the other one doesnt hit.....by the sub hitting different than the other you will be hearing frequencies that the other sub did not produce therefore having "fuller" bass...but on the other hand if you get the exact same sub that hits the exact same frequencies it will not make your bass any "fuller" it will just make those frequencies that you already hear louder......
Old 06-26-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
fuller? not necessarily...it will be louder but wont blend into your music as well as just the one.....the only way to have fuller bass is to have a different size sub hitting frequencies that the other one doesnt hit.....by the sub hitting different than the other you will be hearing frequencies that the other sub did not produce therefore having "fuller" bass...but on the other hand if you get the exact same sub that hits the exact same frequencies it will not make your bass any "fuller" it will just make those frequencies that you already hear louder......
rofl...

Get yourself a quality sub and build yourself a ported enclosure to the specs or slightly larger than spec for your woofer. Or add another sub sealed (which I am assuming you have now). If you are running the same amp, you might want to upgrade to a higher wattage amp that puts out the RMS power of both woofers to whatever minimum impedence the woofers can be wired at (usually with 2 woofers, 1 or 2 ohms, depending on impedence of each voice coil).
Old 06-26-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No it won't be much difference because you don't have enough airspace in the truck to really let your subs play to their potential. Build a ported box under the seats and upgrade to a higher quality sub/amp (My sugg. is a JL Audio 500x1 or 1000x1 and a JL W3 or W7 if you really want something powerful).
Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

So its for the people with tahoe's/suburbans that usually hook up them hard hittin systems. Becuase they got the airspace.

I read a thread a little while ago that with the RCSB's the subs hit harder with windows open vs closed.

I haen't really noticed it. Oh well I ain't complaining.. Just curious I'll stick with my 1 10..
Old 06-26-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
notice also that the house 3 or 4 houses down is the one that calls the police on you for neighborhood distrubance not the house right next to you........its all about sound waves, they must have room to develope to reach their peak......think of it this way, at the beach waves coming farther from shore pick up speed and are bigger once they reach the beach, waves that start 10 or 20 feet from the beach arent near as big because they dont have enough space to reach their peak.......when you open the door you are allowing your sound waves to reach their peak because they can now travel a longer distance than if the door is closed and the windows up.....
i believe this is what you are reffering to.......