STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Amp mounting location

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is probably a little more room back there than what it looks like with the seat up to allow a little airflow. Also I don't know how much difference it makes but both of my amps do have built in fans, although I don't know if they ever come on. I did some reading when I bought that alpine amp used and found out the fan isn't even set to come on until the amp reaches some rediculous temp.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm... I need to get a new amp. I have a lil 100 watt punch that is trying to push my 2 12's right now! Better than nothing but it's definetly not as loud as it should be!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by califrog310
In back of the back seat and yes it is a PITA making adjustments thats y just try to make all ur adjustments before putting the rear seat back inside...where in southern cali u located??
I'm in ventura county close to Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area.

Thanks for all the posts guys. When you mounted the amps behind the rear seat did you have have to drill through the wall to secure the amps?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

You don't have too. I mounted a piece of ply-wood to the back wall that is covered with some cloth I got from Wal-mart that matches my interior really well. Then screwed the amps to that. I did however screw the ply-wood to the back wall cause to me it was the easiest way to do it and I don't really care about a couple of holes that no one can see.

A lot of the custom install guys don't like poking holes in the sheet metal so they use some kind of adhesive like liquid nails to glue the mounting board to the back wall.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

I did like that if some low lives ever try to take my stuff they'll have a hard time getting the amps since they are screwed in.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:44 PM
apple bottom jeans

Originally Posted by califrog310
I did like that if some low lives ever try to take my stuff they'll have a hard time getting the amps since they are screwed in.

Just saying, most thieves will bring a screwdriver, it only takes 2 minutes to unscrew 4 screws.

When I mount my amps on the wall, I'm gluing 1/2 MDF underneath the carpet behind my seats, then running wires underneath the carpet to my comps and subs.

If you get a quality amp you should never have overheating problems. It should get warm but never to the point of going into protect.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:25 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is my system of 5+ years... Never had an pverheating problem. (Knocking on wood).

Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
Here is my system of 5+ years... Never had an pverheating problem. (Knocking on wood).

That's awesome bro!! I'm going to run a similar setup, but with the JL 450/4 running my components and possibly an alpine or pioneer head unit. I might go with the JL stealth box to not lose any cargo space. Is that the navigation unit for the avic back there? So you're running a pionner HU? Did you lost steering wheel control funtion?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by larsy87
Just saying, most thieves will bring a screwdriver, it only takes 2 minutes to unscrew 4 screws.

When I mount my amps on the wall, I'm gluing 1/2 MDF underneath the carpet behind my seats, then running wires underneath the carpet to my comps and subs.

If you get a quality amp you should never have overheating problems. It should get warm but never to the point of going into protect.
Thats tru larsy... so that 1/2 MDF that u glue do u glue it on the back wall?? What type of glue do you use??

Thats a nice set up u have J did u do all the work yourself??
Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 PM
apple bottom jeans

Liquid nails, PL Premium...as long as it's an adhesive it will generally work...not like your hanging 50 lbs off of it. That new no nails stuff or whatever on tv now looks appealing.

Quick Reply: Amp mounting location