STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Anyone ever do this to their battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Delco batteries do that all the time. its a common problem with them. see it happen all the time at the dealer
Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found out that the 6yr batteries that come standard in the truck aren't built anywhere even near the quality of the professional series delco batteries. I would advise you guys look at the professional series delco batteries before buying an aftermarket one. They look great, have a nice thick heavy case for vibration resistance to the plates, nice handle on them, and they have caps on them you can remove if you ever want to check or add to the water level
Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qwank
Delco batteries do that all the time. its a common problem with them. see it happen all the time at the dealer
I think the problem lies when people overtighten the cables and the bolt bottoms out pulling the terminal out. Mine was damaged after borrowing it to the mother in law to get her truck worked on. I think the guys at the garage did it
Old 02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem last fall. Truck would die and not start and i went to check the connections and put a wrench on it and it popped right off. It was the stock battery too.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:46 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen that happen before, actually replaced my cousin's battery in his Chevy van for that exact problem this past summer...I've probably seen that about 5 times in my life, and every time it's been a Delco battery I've been running an Interstate Megatron in my truck for over 6 years now...been using Interstate or Delco pretty much forever. My experience with the Delco batteries is hit or miss...I've seen them go 10 years without a hiccup, as well as dying quickly while still under warranty.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I think the problem lies when people overtighten the cables and the bolt bottoms out pulling the terminal out. Mine was damaged after borrowing it to the mother in law to get her truck worked on. I think the guys at the garage did it
Nah, it's a defect in the battery construction, some of the ones that I've seen were never touched before.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i second duralast golds being pretty damn good, and i work at advance lol.

Or pick up a kinetic or optima
Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I usually buy Walmart Everlast batteries. They have 2 year free replacement, so every 2 years I would take the battery in and tell them it wouldn't hold a charge. They used to just take my word and replace it and i had another new battery and warranty. Last time I took one it, the store I took it to had a fancy electronic tester and did a big long test on it then spit out a report say the condition of the battery and whether or not it should be replace. It failed, but barely. Now I guess I will just have to kill them before I take them in,
Originally Posted by CharlyNali6.2
i had a battery do that on me once...i ended up with a walmart one..lol.. ever last or ever start something like that but worked very well and right before the warranty expired i drained it by leaving the stereo on and took it in and got a brand new one.. i would normally not do this but i was on a college budget at that time, and well money was soooper tight so i improvised lol
That makes 3 of us