STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

ATTN: kenwood excelon users

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: kenwood excelon users

has anyone had any problems out the kenwood excelon series in their trucks? the reason i ask is because mine started flickering on and off and wouldnt stay on for no longer than 15 seconds, i sent it to cructhfield and they re-solderd the j1 connection, i got it back it still did the same thing, my wiring and harness is 100% correct, i sent the radio back, they say they cant find anything wrong with it, they said check the fat yellow wire, its a memory wire make sure its getting 12 volts, its getting 13.89 volts wich should be enough, any ideas?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

No problems outta my kenwood excelon ddx8017
Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have not had any problems out of mine save the ipod reader being slow at times.

I would also check to make sure the red wire(switched power) is getting a full 12 volts as well and that the ground wire is good. You may even run a temporary wire out to the negative terminal of the battery and see if that fixes your problem.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 AM
12 Second Truck Club

What year is your truck and are you running an adapter to keep your factory chime?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a removeable face place? If so remove the face and blow the connection with some compressed air.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would switch it out real quick with another player. see if it still happends
Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yah if you can buy that same head unit some where else, buy it, then switch you whole unit out with it, then tell them it didn't fit what you was putting it in.. Problem solved..
Old 05-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Yah if you can buy that same head unit some where else, buy it, then switch you whole unit out with it, then tell them it didn't fit what you was putting it in.. Problem solved..
As a last resort I'd say. The only problem is. Some stores will write down the serial number on the unit when they sale it to you. So when you bring the other unit back they'll check the Serial.

I agree on blowing it out, but also check the ground and antenna. I had a stereo that used the antenna as a ground as well and wouldn't work unless it was in there good. You didn't splice any wires did you?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

heres the deal with it,,i bought it along with a ton of other stuff from crutchfield, ive had it for i dont know about 3 months, it worked fine until it started flickering on and off and really pissing me off especially when i have brand new subs and speaker i cant even get the best out of cause of this f'ing radio, i got the harness that you have to wire in a bell chime, my truck is an 03 no onstar or any of that bull, while my radio has been gone for the second time and crutchfield constantly telling me its fine, ive had my factory one it and it works like a charm, just no subs or anything because im not puttting a rca box back in, so pretty much crutchfield is tellin me to eff off because they cant find anything wrong with it and every time i have to talk to them i get some goob saying "are you sure you have a full 12v to everything?" then me"yes i have 14 volts to everything" then they tell me well your harness must be messed up somewhere. So anyways the last i talked to them i told them if i get my radio back and it doesnt work im taking every harness(engine,fog lights, head lights, tail lights, dash, everyfreaking one imagineable) in my truck out and sending all of them so they can check them.