STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

bad ass system's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a reason you didnt get a 10" or a 12" sub, would have been able to use your backseat.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Teching In

for the type of music I listen to I went with the 8"s

I listen to all types of music...mostly alternative, techno (house and trance included), some rock and roll, and some occasional rap thrown in for good measure.

Since I listen to all types I needed a setup that could tailor to that. 8"s can move very fast so when i listen to techno and most rock songs the bass doesn't sound muddy like a 12" or a 15" would (although you could have a second battery and a couple capacitors right by the amp to remedy that). Also I never use the backseat for anything...only thing that gets put back there might be a change of clothes if I go work out or play soccer. If I did a couple 10s or 12s...I wouldn't have been able to get out of them what I can get out of 8"s for the same money.

Not too mention trying to squeeze a pair of subs under the seat...too often people blow subs not giving them the proper airspace to get everything out of them that they want or just not knowing what distortion sounds like.

My whole point was sound on a budget...for what I have in the 8s and what type of SQ I can get out of them...I'd have to spend about 2-3x the price for 10 or 12s that could come close to doing what I've done with the 8s.

Remember you can take the cheapest subs and make them louder and more clear with the right enlosure and tuning then a box running minimum airspace with some of the most expensive of subs.

The only why the backseat could be functional IMO is if I was running only one 10 and used the entire stretch under the seat as the box that way I'd at least have about 3-4 cu' volume. For my 8s in the box I have almost 9.5 cu'.

I could run one MTX 9500 12" in that about perfect with two 6" ports. But I prefer the sound of 8s in a sealed box.

I'm gonna stop rambling....been a long day of work and a breif night of drinking...

I could just keep going on and on about all the reasons. But that's enough for tonight

I also noticed we have the same 4 channel amp
Old 04-30-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can make 12's 15's or any speaker sound awsome and not "muddy" you just need alot more power alot of people will get 2 15's and put them on like a 1000 amp and not put but maybe 300 RMS to them running at 2ohm or maybe some higher wattage at 1ohm when you go to a concert what do you see? you can get 15's to play mid range even but most CAR AUDIO 15'' subs wont play about 500hz and dont sound good that high anyways, but thats not all thats out there. Anyways you said your 8's will play 20hz but whats your dB at 20hz? its probably pretty low...... I just always have though less is more, and I dont have anything aginst 8's I love 8" loudspeakers they sound amazing 1 pair of 8"s in the front doors is awsome
Old 04-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Teching In

I know what you mean about 12s. I just didn't have the space to put a battery and four caps right there...although I could take out the back seat and have it all line up there. Plus build the box a little deeper and get another set of 8s in behind the others for an isobaric setup.

I don't know what you mean about needing more power...the amp I'm using is running 1500 rms to the 8s...I am going to get a set of diamond audio 12s and try them in the same box...just need to make a new face for the box and we'll see what results I can get. I've heard a similar setup and to be honest though I prefer the sound I can get out of the 8s compared to his setup of 2 12s in a friend's truck. I imagine I'll end up building another box on top of the one I got and put at least one if not two 12s in it so I can get a more complete soundstage.

I haven't had a chance to get over to a friends that has a meter but yeah it's not anything overly impressive yet but it does have some good potential. I haven't had a couple days off in a row to sink my hands into and make sure all the speakers are in phase (cause I know I have some cancelation w/ the 6-1/2"s). I've had other priorities in the way lately.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

how much were all of those 8s if you dont mine me asking?

And I dunno, maybe you're genious with car audio. I really cant picture 8 8" pyramid subs sounding better if not just as good, as 1/2 decent 10"/12" subs.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

you would be surprised what little speakers can push out and push out clear. but you can also make biger speakers play clear its just a little more complicated.

i havent heard many pyramid subs so i wont judge but your box looks good it would look better if you got like a wood grain trim kit for the interior.

and just wondering when you built your box knowing you couldnt use your back seat why didnt you just take out your seat.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I just went for cheap subs ($10 a piece)...the pyramids are the shitties ones I could find to prove a point about it not being subs that make the biggest difference but the box that's built around the subs specs.

I am upgrading them shortly...I just did it to show a couple "know it all" types that they could have $500 in 2 12s and I could have less then a $100 in 8s and have them sound better just because of the enclosure.

The reason the back seat was left in was so I didn't have it sitting in the garage with the potential ease of it getting scratched by one thing or another. I will most likely end up taking the seat out, glassing the box and painting it black (especially if I turn it into an isobaric setup).
Old 05-21-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

In your next system, consider Resonant Engineering. www.reaudio.com They have some RE 8's that are about 60 bucks a piece and they SLAM like a **** and sound GREAT with any music. They don't get wicked loud, but louder than most 8's (except the L7) but sound 100x better than the L7. Just call 'em and tell them to send you a brocheure or whatever
Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Launching!

YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT STEALTH! CHECK IT OUT.

Ha ha, naw not at all stealth. But it is easy to take out when I got offroading, the amp isn't even tied down, just bouncing around everywhere.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

i have my amps laying on the floor. and i juist got a 12" kicker L5 and the box is just sitting on the back seat lol

Quick Reply: bad ass system's