STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Bose stereo option (whats up with the sound)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the stock Bose in my center console... piece of crap. GM just payed bose for the brand name. It's an improvement over the stock speakers, but it is, in no ways, comparable to an aftermarket 8" sub. It is either the sub itself is no good, or the amp powering it doesn't give it enough juice. A reputable stereo shop told me this when I asked him the same question about my Bose stereo: "No highs, no lows... must be Bose"
Old 02-10-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm completely satisfied with my BOSE system and mine bumps just fine without any aftermarket stuff in it. Aftermarket is aftermarket and will kick BOSE's *** anyday. You cant compare apples to oranges!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ILLNALI
I'm completely satisfied with my BOSE system and mine bumps just fine without any aftermarket stuff in it. Aftermarket is aftermarket and will kick BOSE's *** anyday. You cant compare apples to oranges!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I Think the bose sounds good, At least at the level I listen too. Nice and clear.
I added 2 10" subs and know its too much. I do love it but if I could do it again I would prolly only add 1- 12,.

I thought the driver in the console was 6.5,
it looked pretty small.

rhino lining
Old 02-11-2005, 12:19 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am pretty happy with my Bose.....Damn I am getting old
Old 02-11-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I am pretty happy with my Bose.....Damn I am getting old
Old 02-11-2005, 04:04 AM
TECH Junkie

The best improvement I made to my truck was upgrading the stock face, as only the speakers are Bose, the face is Delco, or Delphi. An aftermarket face will give you a clearer signal to the speakers as well as more power to them. I am happy with the stock bose speakers, but I have qualms with the sub. It's design is worse than the 8" sub GM used to have in the rear quarter panel. That was just an 8" sub in a sealed box. Bose has a speaker inside of a box with an intricate maze of air channels designed to maximize airflow with a minimum speaker size. It is designed for open air operation, not the confines of a truck, even worse, a center console. With a stock face pushing it, it is gives a nice, but minimal, compliment to the music; but when I put my Alpine in, it sounded fine at low levels, but would distort at only moderately high volume; although, it is possible that the sub was blown to begin with since I bought the Tahoe used. JL makes a nice stealthbox for the Tahoes and Silverados with a single 10" W3. All I want out of a system is clean sound, I'm not out to blow any windows out. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest, just offering up my opinion, for what it's worth.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Ill - that's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

I admit that I'm pretty content with my Bose system, until I put down my windows - then it gets pretty weak. (and unless it's snowing or raining, my windows are down)

I've got the underseat rear storage thing, which is always chock full of stuff for my weekend job... so I can't do anything with that. I was thinking of adding a little 6" bazooka tube behind the rear seats, but I don't know if it'll fit back there.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
The best improvement I made to my truck was upgrading the stock face, as only the speakers are Bose, the face is Delco, or Delphi. An aftermarket face will give you a clearer signal to the speakers as well as more power to them. I am happy with the stock bose speakers, but I have qualms with the sub. It's design is worse than the 8" sub GM used to have in the rear quarter panel. That was just an 8" sub in a sealed box. Bose has a speaker inside of a box with an intricate maze of air channels designed to maximize airflow with a minimum speaker size. It is designed for open air operation, not the confines of a truck, even worse, a center console. With a stock face pushing it, it is gives a nice, but minimal, compliment to the music; but when I put my Alpine in, it sounded fine at low levels, but would distort at only moderately high volume; although, it is possible that the sub was blown to begin with since I bought the Tahoe used. JL makes a nice stealthbox for the Tahoes and Silverados with a single 10" W3. All I want out of a system is clean sound, I'm not out to blow any windows out. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest, just offering up my opinion, for what it's worth.
The 03 Bose system has an Factoy amp in the console.
I'm not sure if replacing the face would help unless you bypassed the factory amp. It May be a clearer signal but power comes for the amp.

The Pac interface I got to run the sub amp allowed me to plug in off the factory harness and has two sets of rca outs. Real easy setup.

Jl makes a single 10" for the center console but its pricey.

Marc w--would selling your BBtriflo to me create anymore room for you to add a sub
Old 02-11-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by creederado
The 03 Bose system has an Factoy amp in the console.
I'm not sure if replacing the face would help unless you bypassed the factory amp. It May be a clearer signal but power comes for the amp.
The clearer signal from the face to the sub only made the imperfections of the Bose sub that much more noticible.

Originally Posted by creederado
Jl makes a single 10" for the center console but its pricey.
Ebay, my good man: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5750190253

Quick Reply: Bose stereo option (whats up with the sound)