STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

burned up the amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burned up the amp

a friend of mine burned up his amp by having the volume up too high (he suspects). I had this happen to by amp a little while ago and now it's being repaired. Mine is 2500w rms... how can i avoid this but keep my volume up? better ground?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 PM
apple bottom jeans

Originally Posted by dropkick13
a friend of mine burned up his amp by having the volume up too high (he suspects). I had this happen to by amp a little while ago and now it's being repaired. Mine is 2500w rms... how can i avoid this but keep my volume up? better ground?

Set your gains right? It was probably clipping to **** and overheated. The fuses should have blown first. Does he have it wired for a load lower then what the amp can handle? Is it properly mounted so it receives adequate ventilation?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had the gain extremely low so i dont think it was that. im not too sure what 'clipping' is... you mean when the subs start 'clicking' ? if so, no it wasnt doing that. Not sure at all why the fuses didnt go.

i had mine mounted behind the back bench so its not great ventillation but tons of people do this without problems. I posted this on FSC:

i cant speak for him, i didnt over gain it (i dont think..it was really really low because i had some pansy subs)

i HAD 0 gauge running from the alternator jumper box distro'ed to 2 4 gauge into the amp. ground was not so great (to the cab).

Now i am running the 0 gauge straight from the battery and i upgraded the ground location to the frame. I also got better subs (diyma 12's instead of mtx black gold 10's). Big 3 will be done prior to amp reinstall

Think I'll need further upgrades to run this? the amp is 2500w @ 2 ohm and 1500w @ 4 ohm. http://www.drdetailshop.com/vd2500.1.htm
i have to run it at 2 ohms cuz the subs are SVC 4ohm.

Just in case these amp #'s are over rated, my amp is getting benched as its getting repaired so i WILL know the actual output...at what point do i need to upgrade my electrical system?

i have the stock 145amp alternator
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

well i have mine behind my seat as well and after the daily 40min drive the amps are hot to the touch. i got some computer fans and mounted them so they will blow over the amps to keep them a little cooler....

i would just upgrade the battery to a dry cell and you should be good to go.....any body got a stock 145 amp alternator they want to sell? i would like to upgrade my 02 which i think is 105amp....
Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

dry cell? whats that?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Stinger makes them. Bad *** ones to that thing takes tons of abuse
Old 10-18-2007, 03:00 AM
apple bottom jeans

Gains are NOT volume control they are entirely dependent on your HU output voltage, saying you only have the gain up "a little bit" could still be too much if you have a deck that has 8 volt preouts.

You'll never get 2K plus watts out of ANY stock electrical system, you might, but not for more then a month at the most. Your batt and alt would die in a hurry. The reason I capped my system at 1700 watts is because I don't need anymore the get the sound I want.

Getting into the 2K range means secondary batteries, HO alt(230 amp range), or two standard alts, multiple runs of 1/0, and big 3 upgrades.

But going back to your original question, and to Thomas point as well, if I'm bumpnig my system, and the amp gets hot but doesn't shut down, it's still operating within it's limits. When it goes into thermal shutdown, you have problems. You can tell if this is happening by the amp shutting down, then turning on 5 minutes later. You sound like you know how to wire subs so we'll leave that alone.

Just make sure your gains are set right, and you should never have problems with your amp burning up unless you do something stupid like hook your subs up wrong or jack the bass boost.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

i got the wiring down...my amp is supposed to have a thermal shut down protection which obviously failed. also, why wouldnt my fuses have gone first?

I guess I'm still not sure why it fried. Stock bose head unit with LOC...could that lead to the problem?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
apple bottom jeans

Originally Posted by dropkick13
i got the wiring down...my amp is supposed to have a thermal shut down protection which obviously failed. also, why wouldnt my fuses have gone first?

I guess I'm still not sure why it fried. Stock bose head unit with LOC...could that lead to the problem?

Maybe it's ajust a shitty amp
Old 10-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

goto caraudioforums.com and read how to use an ohm meter to set your gains.

you have good sized wire, a good ground...a dry cell battery wouldnt hurt stinger or kinetic. even an optima yellow top will probably improve things. if you install pc fans to help cool your amp, be sure to use a relay.

Quick Reply: burned up the amp