STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

crispAUDIOLANCHE... music 4 the beast!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 AM
formerly 2004RST (changed 11/19/2012)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you looking for more of a SQ or SPL setup out of the sub? if you're looking for SQ maybe DLS would be able to help you out? or for SPL maybe sundown audio? DLS is definately one of the top 3 SQ brands i've ever heard...definately sounds like you know what you're doin...should come out sounding great!!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004RST
are you looking for more of a SQ or SPL setup out of the sub? if you're looking for SQ maybe DLS would be able to help you out? or for SPL maybe sundown audio? DLS is definately one of the top 3 SQ brands i've ever heard...definately sounds like you know what you're doin...should come out sounding great!!
Generally, I'm more of an SPL guy... BUT, NOT at the expense of SQ! I'm NOT looking for a FLAT equalization stage here... but neither do I want to worry about HOW LOUD my vehicle is OUTSIDE and DOWN THE BLOCK!!! DOH!

My goal is always to OVER-POWER and CONTROL the drivers with great sound shaping to deliver very linear sound quality through the entire volume range. I want to be at my LISTENING LIMIT from a "bleeding ear" volume soundpoint WITHOUT any distortion! That's my personal criteria for a good system. NO boomy bass... but TIGHT, CLEAN and "CRISP" low-end FILL with the musicality being heavily driven from the front stage. I usually run my sub(s) (generally opt for a single 12 well dialed...) at a fairly low frequency (50~75hz) cross-over point as SUPPLEMENT to the well-balanced and full-range capable components all around.

I've found this setup provides GREAT "SNAP-PUNCH" from the stage front/rear... AND a REALLY full-bodied and POWERFUL bass-fill that is "hollow and TIGHT" by only taxing the sub with the really LOW stuff to carry what the smaller cones won't handle at high volumes. Everything from CLASSICAL to HARD CLASSIC ROCK sounds GREAT when it's right... and I'm pretty sure this system will eventually "morph" onto a very nice audio chamber that will cover nearly all genre of music without the need for constant EQ fiddling.

It's all about balance.

(BTW, I don't know if I'd say I KNOW what I'm doing... but I guess I've been "fiddling" for long enough to know what I'm TRYING to do... and willing to figure out what it takes to get there. Helps to have some past precedence to draw from... experimentation is one of the best mentors when it comes to good sound, and knowing the difference goes a loooong way in sorting it all out along the way.)

-crisp
Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE!

Well... I managed to get the FRONT staging components mounted, wired and installed last night! I was out in the cold (17*F!!!) this morning tapping into the battery with the 4ga. and fused block so I could finish the "dry wiring" test-setup with the Soundstream Tarantula amp. (It will be properly MOUNTED later, once I'm sure I like my configuration...)

Actually, as SOON as I connected the "front" two channels (4x75/105w @4/2ohm load) I realized I didn't like the power level to the ZR's and went to a BRIDGED/2-channel wiring. This should be giving me about 130/channel to the front, but I'm pretty sure that's a bit "optimistic". If not, then I just need MORE POWER to achieve the character and "headroom" I want to drive these ZR's! DOH!

I KNEW I might not like a four channel... so I stopped back by my audio guru's place and he was already second guessing sending me home with a 4-channel. We looked around and I'm considering bumping this arachnid amp up to a Boston Acoustic GT-2200... which should have a bit more OOMPH for my front staging.

http://mobile.bostonacoustics.com/ca...product_id=463

...now I gotta figure out what to drive the rear Dynaudio's with that is "on par" with that level power without breaking the bank. Hmmm... I have an old Kenwood KAC-921 that works well... or perhaps my equally old-school (and somewhat rare...) Infinity RSA-450. I'll probably need something a bit healthier than my temporary plan to use a D500 Monoblock from Memphis for the sub... which I STILL haven't picked out! I'll likely use one of a couple enclosures I have laying around... or out of the old Toyota p/u cab.

More to come!

Oh... did I mention that the bridged Soundstream DID SCREAM with WONDERFUL CLARITY through the ZR's!? I REALLY need some sub-fill to balance it out now...

-crisp
Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

dude for some sick tweaters you should buy mine they look sexy
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by siktruk
dude for some sick tweaters you should buy mine they look sexy
Oh? What are you running? I think the character of these ZR's is really nice. I played with the x-net a bit and found a nice setting with tweeters at +1 position and "presence" set on "3". I think these have great clarity, and should more than suffice with a tad more power.

Sexy, huh? How does sexy sound?

-crisp
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

just look in the classified post i just made. Thats how my tweakers are mounted they look and sound sexy
Old 01-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

LAST NIGHT!!!

Went ahead with the amp swap to the Boston Acoustics GT-2200. More "headroom" with this chunk of caps-n-coils-n-such... and although I don't think it's as "stout" as old-school Orion amps of similar size and specs., it IS a very clean and capable piece! REALLY lights up the ZR's up front, and I've got them dialed about to where I want them until I can begin the balancing-out with rear channel pair of Dynaudio's (MAYBE mounting this weekend?) and a sub.

200w/channel rating, but at a true 12v supply, it's around 160rms/channel at 4ohm load. That's really pretty good power for staging a pair of components up front. Crystal clear!

More to come...

-crisp
Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a real nice setup man, I'm sure that it's going to sound sweet! Excuse my ignorance, but what do the speaker baffles do? Do they kinda work like a mini sub-box or something?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea they give the mid driver more mid bass response and dont use the inside of your door as a ''free air'' mount.....basicaly there a mini enclosure
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

looking good crisp when your done get a video of some tunes

Quick Reply: crispAUDIOLANCHE... music 4 the beast!