STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

crispAUDIOLANCHE... music 4 the beast!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys!

PROGRESS!!!

It was a beautiful full-moon night... so I fired up the audiolanche and let 'er warm up for a bit...

We're talkin' COLD OUT THERE!

^^^ I played around with mounting either my Kenwood KAC-921 or my Infinity RSA-450... both OLD SCHOOL amplage!

^^^ Settled on the Kenwood as it was more "oversquare" and the Infinity wouldn't allow the Boston Acoustic GT-2200 to fit! DOH!

^^^ Here they are as a mix-n-match threesome... my usual "tri-amp" setup for nearly all my audio systems. I'm not too particular on WHAT BRAND of amps I incorporate.... but I AM pretty convinced that adequate POWER is a critical ingredient of really impressive sound.

FRONT = Boston Acoustics GT-2200 on my JL Audio ZR 650csi components

REAR = Kenwood KAC-921 on my Dynaudio components (Not yet installed...)

SUB = Memphis MCD16-1000 on my MTX 8500 Thunder series 12 in a Boston Acoustics "G-Tuned" enclosure (@45hz) ...for now (it's out of my Solara... but since I'm not driving it much this winter... I'm throwing the sub in the 'lanche for "testing".

Got most of the wiring in... and decided it's so late, cold and if I DO finish in the next hour or so... TOO LATE to really "bump it" without waking the wife, who WORKS in the morning (nurse...)

MORE TO COME TOMORROW when I'll TEST DRIVE IT! (And hopefully begin mounting the Dynaudio's in the rear!)

-crisp
Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Now that the AMPS were all in on the back wall... I needed to run the RCA's, power (remote) control lead under the carpet and bring it all together on the "amp board". Contrary to my USUAL approach, I built NO actual "amp board", but rather just mounted them direct in the interest of weight, ease of installation and clean result. (I often make a separate BOARD and place all the amps and wiring on it, then load the entire BOARD into the vehicle... but this array of amps would be so heavy, and making a board would have required quite a bit of fabrication and compromised my DEPTH behind the seats... placing the amps JUST AGAINST the seat backs, which I wanted to avoid.)

I used a technique that some frown on... in "window-slots" through the floor carpet to run the lines. This stuff is VERY THICK and with the damping material between the carpet and metal floor pan, it's VERY hard to run leads for any length under it. With the "windows" cut and tools to PRY along the way, I was able to run everything with just a LITTLE difficulty. Didn't get the FINAL pics, but the center console is back in and carpet window "flaps" pressed back into place. Although I COULD use an adhesive to "mend" them, they are almost completely hidden under the seat and console, and for now, I'll just leave them "press-fit" back into position. (This thick rubberized carpet backing makes it a good "press-fit" for now anyway.)

More to come! (Rear door speakers TO COME! Amps are all wired and in... so just need speakers mounted and pair of leads to the amp which is waiting...)

-crisp
Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

This is sweet I've got to find someone in the Los Angeles area to give my system a boost, nothing better than good tunes heading down the road.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xhaus11
This is sweet I've got to find someone in the Los Angeles area to give my system a boost, nothing better than good tunes heading down the road.
Thanks!

Well... I'm down in MEXICO at the moment on business... and while my family and everyone else is BURIED in a BLIZZARD up in Ohio, I'm hanging out with blue skies and balmy 55* weather on a beautiful Saturday morning here in Monclova. Later, I'll be making the drive from Monclova to Monterrey to catch my flight back to Houston enroute to Dayton Ohio... which I BELIEVE may be SHUT DOWN at the moment! DOH!

As far as the AUDIOLANCHE is concerned, just before my departure this past week, I temporarily placed my MTX THUNDER 8500 series 12" dual voice coil tuned box in the back seat and "strapped" it down to support the front component speakers that are completely installed and sounding PHENOMENAL!

...at SOME point when I get back... (after the snow melts???) I'll be finishing up the rear doors and get a report of how it performs as a complete system. If possible, I'll try to take some brief vids with audio and post links from photobucket or do a short clip on YouTube for everyone's "reference".

Gotta go... almost time to head to the airport! Hope we don't get stopped by the "revenue policia" this time... as the drive IN wherein we were LOST in Monterrey resulted in a nervous stop and "greased palm" of the local LAW before we were allowed to KEEP our license and continue on our way! DOH!

Just glad to be getting out of Mexico at this point!

-crisp
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Been down in Mexico on business... so no real progress, but I did get a shot of the sub out of my Solara sitting in the back seat for "bumps".

This is just a temporary situation... but it sounds pretty good all the same!

BTW, it was 75* when I left Mexico Saturday afternoon... and a FOOT of snow in Dayton when I arrived Saturday night! MUCH more snow since then yesterday and today... so I'm going BACK to Mexico next week! HA!

...then when I got home...

-crisp
Old 02-10-2010, 02:32 PM
formerly 2004RST (changed 11/19/2012)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha that's like me how i get calls from my parents in FLA & they tell me it's 85* & sunny
Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just found this thread and I'm hooked. Any updates?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jpodell
Just found this thread and I'm hooked. Any updates?
HA! Great to have a "hit" in this thread again! I've been in and out of the country several times since my last posts... and TOO BURIED with work (CRAZY HOURS and WEEKENDS at the office and traveling!!! DOH!!!) so I haven't made any progress lately!

I HAVE been LOVING THE SOUND on this setup EVEN though I haven't installed the rear door Dynaudio's yet... but that's coming UP as soon as I have a spare handful of hours!

...you can COUNT on pics and details...

Thanks for viewing!

-crisp
Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice setup. Thoughs JL ZR's are a really really nice set of speakers. I have a friend that has 4 sets in his F250 all run off 2 JL 300/4v2. They sound amazing! The Dynaudio's are really nice as well. I was actually looking at them for my truck but money is an issue. I should be starting on my setup in the next month or so. Ill be sure to take many pictures and start a thread showing the progress. Keep the updates comming!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sc00by
Nice setup. Thoughs JL ZR's are a really really nice set of speakers. I have a friend that has 4 sets in his F250 all run off 2 JL 300/4v2. They sound amazing! The Dynaudio's are really nice as well. I was actually looking at them for my truck but money is an issue. I should be starting on my setup in the next month or so. Ill be sure to take many pictures and start a thread showing the progress. Keep the updates comming!

Thanks for the comments! I'm preoccupied with one of my OTHER projects at the moment! The onset of "springlike" weather has signified the return of my SUPRA to the road! On one of my FIRST DRIVES of this season, I began to JUST TOUCH on the metal when my ONE YEAR OLD Wilwood pads gave up the ghost!

I made a quick call to my "brake guy" and in a couple days, NEW COMPOUND Wilwoods in hand, I took a free evening to throw them on in CLOSE QUARTERS!!! in my rental storage shed.

...here's a couple shots...:nunchuk1:

Car RIPS and brakes ROCK!

...more on the 'lanche when I'm back at it! (It actually FIT in the storage shed when I swapped rides yesterday! WOOT!)

-crisp

Quick Reply: crispAUDIOLANCHE... music 4 the beast!