STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Electronic Gremlins...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Gremlins...

Not sure if this is in the right section, but here goes...

I'm having some weird issues with the temp controls. I have the digital or "auto" climate controls in my truck. Afew weeks ago i had the a/c on and it was fine for about 20 mins...then I noticed I was getting HOT. I felt super hot air coming out of the 2 driver and rear vents......the funny thing is the front passenger vents were Ice Cold like they should be. I had the thermo set to 70 deg. That same situation has happened twice so far.

Just yesterday, I got in my truck after the body lift was installed and turned on the a/c. It was about 115 deg yesterday....
I get in the truck and turn the a/c on full blast. No matter what setting I had the vents on, the air would ONLY come out of the defroster vents. No floor, no panel, no rear, no floor/panel mix.

Now the way I fixed the 1st issue when it happend the 2nd time was to stop the truck, turn it off then start it back up. All the vents had cold air again.
Yesterday, I drove for a few mins with the air coming out the defrost....Stopped at a redlight and turned the truck off then back on. All the vents worked again.

Has anyone else had this kind of issue? Anything similar happen to anyone else?

Any help is appreciated,

Andy
Old 08-04-2006, 11:12 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were a few bulletins for similar symptoms that required replacement of the HVAC module, and another bulletin outlining the repaire of a loose harness connection to the module. I believe that those bulletins pertained to the 99-02's though, yet if I were to guess, I'd think that the module or possibly control assembly (switch panel) may be at fault. I wonder if it's possible, if you know someone with a similar truck that you could check and see if the HVAC modules have the same part numbers or connectors and pin placement, and swap them out to see if yours gets fixed and his/hers suddenly experiences the problems you describe. Then you'd have pegged the problem for sure.