STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Ext cab subs and box

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ext cab subs and box

Who has an extended cab that pounds without moving up the seat? If it's possible to do. I'm looking to get a custom ported box made for 1 12 but the guy at the shop said it might not be the bass I am looking for. To give you an example I had a 97 z28 with a ported box for a 12 that you could hear for a mile away coming. I know I won't get that but I'd like to get close to it what do I need?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

12's are hard to fit under the back seat of an ECSB. You will run into depth issues unless your using a shallow mount sub. 10's are about the biggest (tall wise) that you can fit under the rear seat. 10's will allow you to keep a stock height seat and have enough room for the 10 to move with out rubbing the carpet or the seat depending how you have them setup. You MIGHT be able to front fire them but its tight. I know 8's will front fire with no problem but I don't think you'll be in for that.

If you went with two nice 10's you will probably get the sound your looking for. It probably won't be as loud as your camaro because of the reverb you get with the glass hatch and trunk space but thats because of vehicle design not lack of cone area. Its something to consider.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

im running 2 12' subs under seats... they sound good and they are not shallow.. its the old school hx2 rockford fosgate.. i did lift the seat 3/4'
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Idk what kind of subs you're trying to go with. Or if it matters to you if it's sealed or ported... But, I used two Kicker CVR 12s in an upfire sealed box that i made and they pounded pleanty hard with the seat down or up, didn't matter. Plus i didn't have to do the seat raise mod. I'll say that it was loud enough to make the wipers vibrate like crazy and made the roof resonate hard enough to where you couldn't set a drink ontop of the cab. How much do you want to spend?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

How often do you use your center console??

This but in a 13"

Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys I could live with lifting it an 1" or so it's not like I sit back there.
The reason why I was thinking 1 12 is that I will put the sub on one side an use the whole length for air space I guess instead of splitting it for two. I don't want to spend than 600 for the custom box and sub to match box. I have 12oo in mids and highs and two amps already.
DREKS- does the Box contuine behind seats for airspace? I would actually like to do a box like that. It's just looks way better in a SC
Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by letsrun97z
Thanks guys I could live with lifting it an 1" or so it's not like I sit back there.
The reason why I was thinking 1 12 is that I will put the sub on one side an use the whole length for air space I guess instead of splitting it for two. I don't want to spend than 600 for the custom box and sub to match box. I have 12oo in mids and highs and two amps already.
DREKS- does the Box contuine behind seats for airspace? I would actually like to do a box like that. It's just looks way better in a SC
Nope it goes right to my back wall, And is built to spec for air space etc.. But you could extend it farther back if needed..
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
Nope it goes right to my back wall, And is built to spec for air space etc.. But you could extend it farther back if needed..
Nice. I am going to show the picture to lees and see what thell charge. I just thought those speakers needed more space my buddy had one in a wrx wagon and the box was huge!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...84125&page=105

Post 1049

That whole set up cost around $500

The box didn't cost but $20 to make
Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by letsrun97z
Nice. I am going to show the picture to lees and see what thell charge. I just thought those speakers needed more space my buddy had one in a wrx wagon and the box was huge!
A 13" will need a pretty big box, Mine is a 10"

Quick Reply: Ext cab subs and box