STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Help me with an AMP choice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it might be better to plan on speaker upgrades at some point. At that time a I will need a 4 channel amp right? I would like to keep the stock fade controls from the head unit will a 4 channel amp do that?

What are some good upgrade speakers to use? I want everything to appear stock and function like stock equipment from the head unit. Will they just tap in to the speaker wires via high level and return them to the speakers. Back in the old days when i was into audio low level was the way to go. It seems like technoligy has caught up to make it little more easy.

I used to like/own infinty/boston Polk audio and JBL. I don't know if these brands are any good or worth buying anymore.

One kid through collage and two still in keeps the cash a little tight these days but at least they are all out of the house........just not sure if that saves me any money though!!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968_SS350
Well it might be better to plan on speaker upgrades at some point. At that time a I will need a 4 channel amp right? I would like to keep the stock fade controls from the head unit will a 4 channel amp do that?

What are some good upgrade speakers to use? I want everything to appear stock and function like stock equipment from the head unit. Will they just tap in to the speaker wires via high level and return them to the speakers. Back in the old days when i was into audio low level was the way to go. It seems like technoligy has caught up to make it little more easy.

I used to like/own infinty/boston Polk audio and JBL. I don't know if these brands are any good or worth buying anymore.

One kid through collage and two still in keeps the cash a little tight these days but at least they are all out of the house........just not sure if that saves me any money though!!
Fade controls are in the head unit and having nothing to do with the amp. you might want an amp but dont nessisarly have to have one. When your talking about high and low not to sure what ur talking about but i assume its high or low pass and everything besides subs is high now. Boston still makes some good stuff but its expensive just like anything u get what u pay for..

Im gonna make a suggestion here, dont know how comfortable u are installing stuff in newer vehicles. But i would suggest just going down to best buy and picking out a decent deck and replacement door speakers and getting them installed, then just install the sub and amp yourself. You can get a 4channel amp if you like for the speakers but it isnt completely nessasary. now i know some people will disagree with me on that, but for the most part you can still get better sound just using better speakers and deck and no amp compared to stock. now dont get me wrong it might distort a little, but it would be at the very top max sound level compared to stock stuff when your just starting to get it loud. I didnt have a amp for speakers in my last setup, but i hardly ever cranked it up to the max vol all the time, just occasionaly

But then again if you want to spend the money get a alpine deck, boston speakers or componet set, a 4ch amp, and a sub amp and you would have one nice setup imo
Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Ok it sounds like I can keep my stock head unit and just go with a sub amp. I have no complaints about my stock system but it needs some base help for sure! I have not seen aftermarket head units in a 2009 but I think most might not look very good. It's funny I was just at best buy on Sunday. The sales guy was pushing this AMP big time. It's an Alpine.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202649210874

He went as far as telling me that it would perform as well or better than the JL audio amp in it's class. Still not sold on it but I do think Alpine used to make some nice stuff, just not sure about that now?

Joe
Old 10-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Just bought a Kicker 08ZX500.1

Seems most everything I was reading has comparisons to JL and Kicker. It was price that put me into the Kicker, it was cheaper by about about $100.00 depending on where I looked and it comes with the base adjust **** where the JL did not and it was another $35.00 for that part. The only real reason for wanting the control is to adjust for MP3 quality and IPOD song quality, that and when using On-Star or hand free calling I can just kick down the bass.

Thanks for the help and I hope I bought quality!! Not being into this stuff for sometime make one wonder what's good and what is not. From my reading it seems that Kicker and JL are the way to go. Now i have to wait for it to arrive then it's off to install!!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

alpine still makes some decent stuff, just not most of the stuff you would find in a bestbuy. There new amps have the same kind of technology i was talking about earlier like JL, puts out constant wattage at any load or voltage, so for the most part in there respective classes they are comparable. heres an amp that would work good imo http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...n=froogle#tabs
Ive had there S speakers, they were alright, their is better out there( herd of the R types being better). Havent had there deck but friends have and i was impressed, as long as u dont get the cheapest ones at BB there great. I dont have any exp with their subs or newer amps tho, but have herd good things about the amps also..
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Just bought a Kicker 08ZX500.1

Seems most everything I was reading has comparisons to JL and Kicker. It was price that put me into the Kicker, it was cheaper by about about $100.00 depending on where I looked and it comes with the base adjust **** where the JL did not and it was another $35.00 for that part. The only real reason for wanting the control is to adjust for MP3 quality and IPOD song quality, that and when using On-Star or hand free calling I can just kick down the bass.

Thanks for the help and I hope I bought quality!! Not being into this stuff for sometime make one wonder what's good and what is not. From my reading it seems that Kicker and JL are the way to go. Now i have to wait for it to arrive then it's off to install!!
good to hear, jus rem the more u crank the bass ****, the more distortion you are likely to get..
Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skolman91
good to hear, jus rem the more u crank the bass ****, the more distortion you are likely to get..
It's something I don't plan to mess with much other than fine tune a little bass from MP3 player/MP3 disc Regular CD's and XM radio. They all seem to have differances. I own about 1500 stuido CD's from over the years and the older one kinda suck compaired to the newer ones in sound quality.

Got an opinion on that kicker amp?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

It's something I don't plan to mess with much other than fine tune a little bass from MP3 player/MP3 disc Regular CD's and XM radio. They all seem to have differances. I own about 1500 stuido CD's from over the years and the older one kinda suck compaired to the newer ones in sound quality.

Got an opinion on that kicker amp?
should do the job, prob will come with a ticket saying "this amp tested at" 650or700 watts or somthing around there. but again thats in unlikely real world conditions and in there perfect testing senario so dont be thinking thats what ur pushing. Also your gonna be at 4ohms not 2 which will cut the output in about half. Still overall could of gotten better, could of gotten worse(way worse). get ya a good 4ga amp kit and call it a day still think that downfire sub will sound great, i know i really really liked mine in my last setup. let us know how it sounds when u get it done.. might be wanting more before you know it
Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Teching In

I ended up paying $225 for the kicker amp shipped. With cost being a concern but also wanting quality this amount was the comprimise with the wife and I. Trying to get her to understand that quality here will make a differance and failing I hope I was able to do alright for the cash spent. The funny thing is I know when she gets in the truck the volume is up......way up. She will come rollin down the street in the 67 Camaro with the stereo cranked and the car in 1st or 2nd letting the flowmasters rumble. Last time she did it in first gear she comes in the house and the old guy down the street comes down and jumps my ***.....I told him hold a minute lat me get the wife so you can complain to her since she was the one driving it. he says ummm ok have her come out so I can see her......amazing what a good looking woman can get away with!! He had nothing to say except hello.