STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Hids??? Who sells good ones

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by gamble686
I stick with 35s in everything, bc 55s have too high a tendency to melt shiz. I would never buy from ddm tons of horror stories out there.
i just don't see how...i guarantee i put my DDM HID headlights through 100X more abuse than your grocery getters. literally i've sunk them in mud and water, got the bulbs wet, pressure washed the ballasts...for every 5 complaints that you see online there are 5k happy people. people only seem to talk about things when they are pissed off about a situation.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i just don't see how...i guarantee i put my DDM HID headlights through 100X more abuse than your grocery getters. literally i've sunk them in mud and water, got the bulbs wet, pressure washed the ballasts...for every 5 complaints that you see online there are 5k happy people. people only seem to talk about things when they are pissed off about a situation.
Agreed. I've owned 4 sets myself and have recommended 2 sets to friends than now run them. I just bought a set for my father inlaw. Never had a hiccup.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when it comes to the HIDs, i talked to DDM on the phone, and the lady couldnt seem to answer my question. Is a 35 watt HID 9005 HB3 (high beam bulb) brighter than a 35 watt HID 9006 HB4(low beam bulb). I asked her and she just kept babling about a 55 watt kit, which i do not want due to heat issues. Can anybody chime in on this?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Of course she would be confused, that isn't a fair comparison, you're talking about different lamps for different applications.
If you ask HID vs Halogen or 35w vs 55w, both being applied to the same lamp (bulb), you can now do a fair comparison.

In theory, both being powered by a 35w ballast and both being High Intensity Discharge, I would think those two lamps would be equally "bright" or produce the same amount of lumens. Although that may not be true, depending on the filament length, because they are different lamps for different applications. Not to mention, held in different shaped housing.

Edit: Which is a brighter, a 60W incandescent A19 lamp (normal bulb) or a 60W incandescent R30 lamp (flood light bulb)? Both are 60W and incandescent but shouldn't one be "brighter"? They put out the same amount of light but are designed for different applications and are held in different shaped housing....

Last edited by KC_kid; 01-31-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Its hard to beat DDM for the price, I have had them for use with little to no issues. But I am sick and tired of waiting forever to get them. It took almost a month for me to get the last set I ordered from them.

I switched to these guys. I put them in my fogs and I will see how long they last. I have heard pretty good things about them. They are a little more expensive but you dont have to wait forever to get them.
HID Kits Xenon Lights & LEDs | Xenon Supply
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used DDM and bought extra bulbs at the same time. No complaints yet after 2 years.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KC_kid
Of course she would be confused, that isn't a fair comparison, you're talking about different lamps for different applications.
If you ask HID vs Halogen or 35w vs 55w, both being applied to the same lamp (bulb), you can now do a fair comparison.

In theory, both being powered by a 35w ballast and both being High Intensity Discharge, I would think those two lamps would be equally "bright" or produce the same amount of lumens. Although that may not be true, depending on the filament length, because they are different lamps for different applications. Not to mention, held in different shaped housing.

Edit: Which is a brighter, a 60W incandescent A19 lamp (normal bulb) or a 60W incandescent R30 lamp (flood light bulb)? Both are 60W and incandescent but shouldn't one be "brighter"? They put out the same amount of light but are designed for different applications and are held in different shaped housing....
So I'm under the impression that the style of bulb, weather it low or high beam, the lumens are the same output. Both being a 35 watt HID 5000k for example. Just that the bulbs are made for a specific light housing. Halogen low beams are a 55 watt bulb where as the high beams are 65 watt. Thus producing a little more light. But they seem much brighter because of how the housing and reflector are shaped to direction the beam?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lhartsel2189
So I'm under the impression that the style of bulb, weather it low or high beam, the lumens are the same output. Both being a 35 watt HID 5000k for example. Just that the bulbs are made for a specific light housing. Halogen low beams are a 55 watt bulb where as the high beams are 65 watt. Thus producing a little more light. But they seem much brighter because of how the housing and reflector are shaped to direction the beam?
I wouldn't immediately say that is true. Just because they are both 35w and the same technology doesn't mean they produce the same amount of light. The 9005 (high beam) is probably not the same output as the H16 (fog light) even though they are both HID 35w. You might be able to make an educated guess by examining the actual lamp, filament length, etc... But you'd have to look at the photometrics of each lamp to determine the actual lumen output. I can almost guarantee that if you stare into a 35w HID, 9005 or 9006, you won't tell a difference in perceived brightness. But, if you install them into there associated housing, the 9005 should throw light a little higher in the air and more scattered.

Typically you would choose a lamp according to its base, or how it installs.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The amount of usable light also depends highly on the housing, its shape, quality, and clarity. My gut tells me that the different bulb types will have the same brightness. I've used DDM H7, 9006, and 9005, the bulbs were identical except for the base where they attach to the housing. Just get the same wattage and temp to make sure the color is correct. Also keep in mind that 55W will tend to wash out the color more than 35W. So a 35W 6000K will be bluer than a 55W 6000K.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
This is like saying Honda or GM or dodge is the best and most reliable car company. You have had a good experience with ddm. Good for you however, a fellow member on this site had several sets on several different trucks go bad and be replaced(albeit after a long fight with ddm). He and another member had an entire thread on another site about the horrible experience with customer service they had. For this reason I will never deal with them. Just like I will never touch moser or precision turbos. When more than one member of this or other forums to whom I respect has significant problems I will never again touch their products. I am happy you have had a good experience with ddm, but I know too many others who have not therefore I will not touch them and encourage others to stay away as well.

Found the thread for your reading enjoyment....
http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/shops...erience-2.html

Last edited by gamble686; 02-01-2013 at 10:53 AM.