STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Hooked up my new iPod on my 06 Silvy

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hooked up my new iPod on my 06 Silvy

... yep, I'm behind the times... and finally threw the CD's out the window. Bought the new 80Gig iPod and got hooked up through JP Customs on the Axxess GMIP-01 iPod adaptor. The product ACTUALLY worked EXACTLY as advertised... although I promptly trashed the supplied mount. Hell, I'm happy it just worked! Installed in my 06 Silverado with non-Bose AND factory XM. I followed the instructions and everything works as advertised. I know it might seem simplistic that you buy a product and it actually works as advertised... especially an aftermarket adaptor but sometimes you get lucky.
Not trying to pimp for JP Customs but they hooked me twice before... no complaints... all

Now, I am looking for a super nice (money no object) iPod mount. Till then I'll tuck it into the usless dash hole for now...

Bill

Last edited by billreid1@cox.net; 10-15-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:04 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Awesome bro, I am behind the times as well, in fact I'm still using CD's!....doh!
Anyway, great info and if JP Customs treated you right there is nothing wrong with saying so, it's the non sponsor links that are not allowed

Anyway, I'm glad you posted this as I am headed back to Sea Duty around the first of the year and I am looking to buy one as well. I'm actually starting to record my CD's to hard drive today in preperation

Let me know how your I-pod holds up as I'll need a fairly durable model
Old 10-15-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been putting off buying one and downloading all my cd's mostly cause i don't want to know how many of them are scratched and won't play . thats great info though. thanks.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Launching!

Look at proclipusa.com. It's a quality product and makes it easy to use when I don't want to use my stereo controls. They make different ones, but here is mine.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Very nice. I have a question though. Do you have steering wheel audio controls? If you do, do they control the Ipod as well?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by tdrumm
Very nice. I have a question though. Do you have steering wheel audio controls? If you do, do they control the Ipod as well?

Thanks
Yes...
With the factory XM I have AM, FM1, FM2, XM1, and XM2 when using the Band select button. When I wired in my adaptor I used a relay (that came with the kit) that flips to the iPod when I press (and hold) XM1 preset button #6. Then I have up to 12 (predetermined by setting up using ITunes) Playlists I can select from using XM1 and XM2. If I press and hold XM1 Preset button #1 then it allows me to flip through ALL songs on the iPod. So, when I use the Seek button on the steering wheel it flips through the songs within the Playlist. The only thing I don't like about this kit is that it locks out the iPod when it is plugged in and ONLY allows control through the radio. SO, I wonder about the real need for an iPod mount now that I think about it. Maybe I should just run the cable to the glove box... then I don't have to worry about some low life peeking through the window and spotting the cable or the iPod if I forget to remove when I'm parked anywhere but my garage.

Bill
Old 10-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Launching!

My steering wheel controls work too.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

mabutler... what are you using to control your ipod... what adapter because it looks as if you can sill use your ipod controls and does not lock it out???
Old 10-26-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by foxracingfreak
mabutler... what are you using to control your ipod... what adapter because it looks as if you can sill use your ipod controls and does not lock it out???
I would like to know that too...

(Update) 1st problem with this new adaptor - I had a particular incident happen twice now that my adaptor is installed. I'll be driving along and all the sudden the ipod quits playing (powers off) and the radio shows an XM Error. iPod battery seems fine if that matters. When I flip through the bands the XM1 and XM2 selection option is gone. It does not reappear (to allow XM, or iPod for that matter) until after I have cycled the ignition. Weird... may have to call JP Customs and ask them about it.

Bill
Old 10-26-2006, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

billreid.... i think that maybe he has something like the iPAC.... JP customs sells that one too and they said on there site that you can still control ipod with its own controls... it is 8 dollars cheaper and is a plug and play