STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

How-To Remove "auto" headlamps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How-To Remove "auto" headlamps?

I removed the "auto" headlamps on my silverado, but it has manual AC (was able to just pull the entire Ambient Light Sensor).

My Tahoe however has the automatic AC system so I'm not sure I can just pull the sensor (pretty sure I can't). Looking at the diagrams for the headlights and (auto) AC, the sensor shows 4 wires (Ground, Ambient Light, Right Solar, Left Solar).

Is it possible to cut only the Ambient Light wire (going into the BCM) and the AC still work correctly? If not, any other way to permanently turn off the "auto" headlamp option?

Edit: Other option? It looks like the "sensor" is simply a photo diode. When light is present, current flows. No light, no current. So, I would think an appropriate value resistor (or better yet resistor and diode combo) soldered across the Ground and Ambient Light wires would trick the system into thinking there is always sunlight on the dash (at least at that sensor). While I realize this will send a false signal to the AC (make it think there is light/thereby heat coming in), the other solar sensors and temp sensors should compensate (right?).

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 08-09-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

if you look around you will find a write up, think it might of been on FSC, but anyway you can put a paper clip in the two bcm spots for the sensor and bypass it so it always thinks its light out, did mine and works great. dont know how that would effect auto a/c tho..
Old 08-09-2009, 06:15 PM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

pull the connector out of the light sensor & install a 1.5kOhm, 1/2W resistor.

Last edited by _zebra; 01-02-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you guys have auto or manual AC systems? I did the resistor trick on my truck but I'm curious as to how it would work on the auto AC system of the Tahoe.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious, why do you want to disable the ambient light sensor? I think that it's a great feature.

Steve
Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

i did mine because i put in hids and didnt want them turning on and off a bunch. and how does the light sensor affect the auto a/c. wouldnt that go off of a temp probe somewhere in the car..?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:56 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I have 2 vehicles with HIDs and they both have the auto lights.....no problems here
Old 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

not sayin they wont function right with auto headlights enabled, i just want full control over them cause from what ive read the on/off switching of hids is what kills them, especially when there hot. so now no more pull into a garage- they come on, pull into a shaded area- them come on etc, heck mine were even coming on if it was really couldy out sometimes. just my 2cents tho, who knows maybe im too parenoid..
Old 08-10-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by skolman91
not sayin they wont function right with auto headlights enabled, i just want full control over them cause from what ive read the on/off switching of hids is what kills them, especially when there hot. so now no more pull into a garage- they come on, pull into a shaded area- them come on etc, heck mine were even coming on if it was really couldy out sometimes. just my 2cents tho, who knows maybe im too parenoid..
exactly....

Plus when you go into "dark" areas (garage, shade, tunnel, etc.) and they turn on, everything goes "dim" (radio, gauges, etc.). When you come out into the light, it takes time before they go "bright" again.

It's just a hassle to me. I think I'm smart enough to know when my headlights need to be on.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you are too paranoid . . . at least about your HID headlamps! I am an electrical engineer for a general aviation aircraft manufacturer. I've mostly been in avionics my whole career (30+ years), but I've done a lot of stuff on the power generation and distribution side too. On/Off cycles can affect bulb life somewhat, especially incandescent bulbs, but only a little. It's mainly the expansion/contraction cycling on the tungsten filament.

But I would'nt worry about the ambient light sensor operation on your HID or any other kind of liights at all. Most all OEM systems that are HID (GM/Ford/Chrysler/German/Asian Manufacturers) have ambient light sensors and I'm sure that they don't measurably shorten lamp life. Just my 2 cents.

Steve

Quick Reply: How-To Remove "auto" headlamps?