STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

JL Audio Stealthbox for '03 & up w/factory console & bucket seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL Audio console Stealthbox for '03 & up w/factory console & bucket seats

Well...I put off the sound system for a while because I just spent a whole lot of money 3 weeks ago on my lift kit, wheels, and tires. Anyhow, I was thinking on the way home about it again and was wondering, how does the JL Audio Stealthbox sound with the 10W3V2? How does it compare to 2 JL Audio 10W3V2s behind the rear seat?

In the beginning when I first thought about systems, the fact of my subwoofer being right under my arm in my console didn't sound right. I guess its just an odd place to put it. I've asked a couple of reputable custom installers and they said if money wasn't an issue, they would do a custom console with a 10W6V2, but I'm not all for a custom console. However, if they could build me a box that would fit under my factory console and fit a 10W6V2, then that might be feasable for me.

So my question is, does the console Stealthbox with the 10W3V2 sound good and how does it compare to 2 10W3V2s behind the seat?

Lastly, I was visiting JL Audio's site again, and they have a new sub out! The 10W3V3. How does it compare to the 10W3V2? A 10W3V3 sounds very tempting in the JL Audio console Stealthbox.

Let me know what you're thoughts are on all this.

Here are my options:

Custom enclosure under factory console w/10W3V2 or V3 or 10W6 if possible
Custom enclosure behind the rear seat w/10W3V2s or V3s
JL Audio console Stealthbox w/10W3V2s or V3s

Thanks!

Last edited by Dragaholic; 04-19-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Well...I put off the sound system for a while because I just spent a whole lot of money 3 weeks ago on my lift kit, wheels, and tires. Anyhow, I was thinking on the way home about it again and was wondering, how does the JL Audio Stealthbox sound with the 10W3V2? How does it compare to 2 JL Audio 10W3V2s behind the rear seat?

In the beginning when I first thought about systems, the fact of my subwoofer being right under my arm in my console didn't sound right. I guess its just an odd place to put it. I've asked a couple of reputable custom installers and they said if money wasn't an issue, they would do a custom console with a 10W6V2, but I'm not all for a custom console. However, if they could build me a box that would fit under my factory console and fit a 10W6V2, then that might be feasable for me.

So my question is, does the console Stealthbox with the 10W3V2 sound good and how does it compare to 2 10W3V2s behind the seat?

Lastly, I was visiting JL Audio's site again, and they have a new sub out! The 10W3V3. How does it compare to the 10W3V2? A 10W3V3 sounds very tempting in the JL Audio console Stealthbox.

Let me know what you're thoughts are on all this.

Here are my options:

Custom enclosure under factory console w/10W3V2 or V3 or 10W6 if possible
Custom enclosure behind the rear seat w/10W3V2s or V3s
JL Audio console Stealthbox w/10W3V2s or V3s

Thanks!
I wouldnt waste your money on a custom enclosure because its nearly impossible to get a W6V2 to fit under the stock center console. The stealth box in the center console is a very nice piece because you can get very good sound out of it since its so close to you. Plus it helps keep the bass up front by you. Two 10s in the back will give you more bass but wont help with your imaging as much as the single 10. Plus the single 10 in the center console has a tendency to rattle anything you keep in it such as change. Subs in the back though will cause you to lose some storage space.

The V3s two biggest differences are they are single voice coil as opposed to dual voice coil which simplifies wiring. JL usually used dual voice coil subwoofers since they offered a much wider variety of wiring options to be used in different setups. It also has a new surround designed to allow it better linear excursion so the sub will hit deeper notes with less distortion.

I would say the V3 and V2 are a toss up as far as sound quality. I dont know if they currently offer the W3V3 in the stealthbox enclosure.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the jl stealth box in my '02 sierra RCSB and it is more than enough IMO! The fitment and quality is awesome. I say go for it on the stealth box. Too bad they don't have one hooked up for you to listen to. I have 250 RMS going to mine and it thumps pretty damn hard.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:08 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well the console Stealthbox isn't for me as I want more bass. Plus I don't want things rattling up front. I've had 2 JL Audio 10W3V2s behind the rear seat of my single cab truck 5 years back or so and I really liked the way it sounded. It was powered by a PPI 2400. A little under powered, but still sounded good.

So now I just have to figure out if I'm going under or behind the rear seat of my '06 crew cab.