STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Kenwood DNX7100

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood DNX7100

Hi guys, I looking at getting this deck (Kenwood DNX7100) but I have a lot of questions and thought someone here might have some knowledge about it.

1) From what I understand, the Bluetooth adapter does not work unless you use the GXM30 (xm antenna by garmin). That is if you are going to be using XM service. Is this true?

2) Do you need bluetooth to be able to hear the voiceprompts of the nav through your stereo?

3) If I am not using the bluetooth adapter, all I need is the TERK XM kenwood adapter to receive live traffic and XM radio?

4) Similar question- With the Bluetooth adapter, if I used the GXM30- that would be all I would need to receive live traffic and XM radio?

5) The GXM30 antenna is kind of large 3-4" and is silver. Mounting might be an issue if I decide to go that route. Does anyone have any good ideas of mounting locations for this unit? Does it have to be in plain clear-view sight of the sky?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm getting confused reading about all the different add-ons for this unit.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have this same deck and these are very interesting questions.

2) Do you need bluetooth to be able to hear the voiceprompts of the nav through your stereo?No.

I was actually wondering the same thing about the XM antenna.If it doesnt have to have a clear view, a good place is under the dash. My cousin just installed a factory Denali Nav unit in his Tahoe and we popped the top of the dash off and put the gps antenna(sounds similar to the XM) on the passenger side, kinda by the light sensor. I will look into a little more also and see if I can figure this stuff out because I want to do this same stuff on mine.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=311#

It says it has to have a clear view of the sky on there....
I wouldnt really want that bitch on the roof of my truck though...

It also says that it plugs into the usb port on the unit, which means my iPod couldnt be hooked up at the same time(unless someone makes a splitter or something) unless of coarse it replaces the original Nav antenna that comes with the unit.

I dont have any regrets about purchasing it though, it is still a badass system and has excellent functionality! Even if the traffic and weather part is a pain in the *** there are no other units out there that even come close to this one. The nav is very easy to use and I installed it so I can have DVD's playing while Im driving(not for me! the passengers lol).

Last edited by TravisH; 12-03-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

As far as the usb input, I'm pretty sure they make splitters... Yeah, I definitely don't want to put that fugly *** antenna on my roof. I'm still wondering about the TERK adapter though. I heard (reading the corvette forums) if you don't use bluetooth, all you need is that adapter (much smaller) to connect to XM. Otherwise, if you have bluetooth the only way to keep it and get traffic/weather/radio is to go the GXM30 route and use that damn antenna. It would be nice to have someone confirm this.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/get_nav.xmc

Here is a review I found:

I believe this antenna houses all the electronics required to provide XM radio to the Kenwood DNX7100. Due to the large size of this antenna (~4" in diameter) I had to leave it inside the vehicle next to the windshield which is hampering the signal. For the most part I get a clear and clean signal, but once I drive through some trees, the signal goes away. I believe this is due the low voltage the antenna uses since it's provided through a mini USB connector. If the size was smaller and the receiver antenna was more powerful, I would give this item 5 stars

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi.../t-823091.html
Scroll about 3/4 down and there is some good info.

Another good thread on corvetteforum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...p?p=1562492473
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see you already found the vette forum thread now lol

If you have bluetooth, you must use the GXM30, the kenwood adapter / terk combo will not work in conjunction with the bluetooth. I really really like the traffic alerts, sometimes they are a little behind, but it has helped on several occasions.
sounds like that guy was confirming that...what xm antenna could you use other than the gxm-30 to get wheather and traffic?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 PM
apple bottom jeans

If you don't mind drilling holes in your bed, you could mount it on the front of your box. Out of the way, less of an eyesore. Unless you have a tonneau, then your screwed!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

why dont you look at the pioneer avic z2 i was thining about the kenwood but after seen the pioneer i think it smokes the kenwood.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckie311
why dont you look at the pioneer avic z2 i was thining about the kenwood but after seen the pioneer i think it smokes the kenwood.
What is so much better about it?

It is $600 more and has most of the same features. No doubt it is still a nice HU but I wouldnt say is smokes anything...
Old 12-04-2007, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

I might be mistaken, but don't the pioneers make you use dvd's for the nav? I would rather not use dvd's for nav...

As far as drilling into the bed, that thought crossed my mind- however, there is no way that will work with the hard tonneau!

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX7100