STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Making Electric Fan Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Electric Fan Harness

Okay, well I'm new here, but I've got a 2001 2500 4x4 6.0L, and I just bought some E-Fans from ebay, brand new. But no harness.

I've heard a couple good things about the Nelson Harness, but it's a bit expensive, and I'm really weird about my wiring, and I like it to lay how I want it to lay, so I want to manufacture my own wiring harness for my truck.

Firstly, does anyone have a p/n or source for the connectors for the fans themselves, I tried to get them from a couple cars at the jy, but they must use different connectors.

Also what relays to use, I've searched and found a few diagrams on here, but i'm not great at reading wiring diagrams. Any help is appreciated, I'll get the diagrams up asap. Thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm currently running the Nelson harness and has worked but have to watch the relays, I've already burnt up 2 sets. Want to get to the 2 pcm controls going so the fans don't cycle with every turn on of the AC compressor.

Good luck finding all the good components. I literally have hours of work in finding good relays, proper terminals and proper gauged wire, and fuses to build the harness per the GM diagram. You will have to make concessions. To properly build 50 amp circuits the wire gauge is huge and difficult to fit into bases and terminals and you won't find 12v relays with bases that are rated to carry 50 amp on both NO/NC contacts. At least I don't think you will.

The fan connectors can be found on e-bay.... search ls1 fan and they will pop up. They aren't perfect but will work. Waytek is the best source I've found for relays, bases, and terminals that will work.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I'm not certain if those are the correct connectors or not, my fans are just a complete oval with 2 pins inside of them, with a bit of an offset to one side. Have you looked on this website for the connectors? I'm not sure what I'm looking at on there... http://acdelcotechconnect.com/pi/wir...cavity/female/

Here are the schematics I've found so far.
Attached Thumbnails Making Electric Fan Harness-8f1d7b66.jpg   Making Electric Fan Harness-factoryharness.jpg   Making Electric Fan Harness-truck_fan_wiring3relay.gif  
Old 02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The second schematic is the one I am trying to make. It works with 2 PCM inputs. Requires someone with tuning software to adjust setpoints on 2003 and back PCMs.

The last looks like the schematic for the nelson type harness. Just one PCM input.

That is a great site for GM connectors, I may have to pick up a set of OEM connectors once I find the right one also. When I get home I can probably post up the view of the correct connector. Its close to the pt1767 from looks.

Here is what I have gotten off e-bay and they will work.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Teching In

I believe I've found the correct connector. I looked on Rockauto.com and went to 2006 model year, then wiring connectors and rad fan connector, and it brought up PT1767, so I went to that site, punched it in, and it looked funny, but between looking at that connector and my fans, it is going to be that connector, PT1767.
Attached Thumbnails Making Electric Fan Harness-pt1767-88987983.jpg  
Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Oh hell, if you open the picture, it also gives you the GM part number which is 88987983. I've made alot of progress in one day. Haha. EDIT: Ouch, just looked them up on GM, they're like 30 bucks a connector. I'll be shopping around it seems.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I used the one from derek@edo, he is a sponsor on ls1tech, worked flawlessly so far, no problems with relays or anything. He also has really good instructions with pictures and all. Not positive but i think it was $75. I looked into it and to buy good parts it will cost you real close to that
Old 02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joeyc125
I used the one from derek@edo, he is a sponsor on ls1tech, worked flawlessly so far, no problems with relays or anything. He also has really good instructions with pictures and all. Not positive but i think it was $75. I looked into it and to buy good parts it will cost you real close to that
i second that. derek is a great guy. harnesses are well made and can't beat the price.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

I apparently cannot read, and didnt notice where KySilverado gave the correct connector. It was a small victory for myself when I found it all out, just to see that he already knew it. Haha

I contacted Derek @ Edo, and his harness only uses pin 42, my question being, my truck is a '01 Silverado 2500, will it utilize both pin 33 and 42 to control the fans or does it just use 42. I need to find out because Derek says he can make it using 2 pins, but I need to verify that'll work for me.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Crank1
I apparently cannot read, and didnt notice where KySilverado gave the correct connector. It was a small victory for myself when I found it all out, just to see that he already knew it. Haha

I contacted Derek @ Edo, and his harness only uses pin 42, my question being, my truck is a '01 Silverado 2500, will it utilize both pin 33 and 42 to control the fans or does it just use 42. I need to find out because Derek says he can make it using 2 pins, but I need to verify that'll work for me.
Who does your tuning and what software do they use? The reason I ask is EFI Live (FTW) you can turn on both pin 33 and 42 right out of the box, with HPTuners you have to get a beta tune from the mods or something like that to control pin 33 and 42 like EFI Live does ...

for HPtuners check out this thread
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...&highlight=pin

Quick Reply: Making Electric Fan Harness