STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Navagation w/ Bose 6 disc

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navagation w/ Bose 6 disc

I'd like to find the best navagation unit for a SLT truck w/ the Bose 6-disc CD system. I dont know anything about stereo's so if this stuff wont work w/ my truck, let me know. also i'd like to keep the 6-disc changer behind the navagation screen, and if that doesnt work i wouldnt know unless someone informed me. thanks..check it out here are the options.

Pioneer AVIC-D2

Eclipse AVN5435

and probably any other flush mounted navagation/touch screen. help is wanted and im open to suggestions

thanks, dave.

edit: and if none of this stuff even works w/ my truck please feel free to let me know lol

Last edited by Dave68RT; 05-30-2006 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

well if you have the stock gm 6 disc changer, it comes out as its built in the stock radio so if you replaced it with one of these you would need an aftermakret changer so that would be extra, and if you want to keep xm (if you have it ) that will also be another extra, and you will lose steering wheel controls, those hu are both very nice espeacially the eclips but the tiny buttons can be annoying.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to use an aftermarket head unit and keep the stock Bose speakers and sub, you're going to need an additional component to translate between the new head unit and the factory Bose amp. I'm not 100% sure if such a piece of equipment exists (I know there are things that go the other way, providing RCA outputs off the Bose amp). If someone does make such an item, it will probably be available at one of these places:

http://www.soundgate.com
http://www.pac-audio.com
http://www.pie.net

Those sites also might (or might not) have the parts needed to link the factory steering wheel controls to the new head unit.

The other option (which I did to my truck) was to grab an 05+ GM touch-screen nav out for an SUV and replace the factory radio with it. Also added a denali/escalade 6-disc in-dash CD player. The aftermarket stuff is more feature-packed, but the factory stuff is less likely to be stolen and tends to integrate better with the other factory stuff. If you want to do this, I recommend skimming this *REALLY BIG* thread over at gm-trucks.com: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=28030 I believe my setup can now be done for about $1800 with NEW non-ebay parts if you order from the "specmo" place mentioned in that thread. (click my sig for pics of my setup & install)

The best and most expensive option of course is to buy one of the above units in your post and rip out all the factory Bose crap, replacing it with a real sound system (and a good alarm).
Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

sooo much information. thank you very much guys, i'll read more into it.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pio needs special **** to bypass the safety ****. Or some have said yoou flip the lights on and off 2 times while the boot screen is showing EVERY time you start the truck... And that will disable the locks. Reading alot that the Eclipse navi sucks a fatty.... The Alpine is cool.... But I have no need for Bluetooth anything or 56K iPod control speeds... I went and played with the Pioneer D2 at a local joint. Nice unit, but very hard to use. Menus arent the problem. Its little goddam **** at the bottom left corner. Alot of funcions require the use of that thing. Up, down, left and right are simple. But succesfully completing a "center-click" on that ****** was almost impossible. I felt like I had rabies trying to do it. Think I got it to work 2 times. Anyway. My nod has thus far gone to Kenwood... Add-on navigation is a big deal for me. Travel quite a bit. Kenwoods navigation unit uses no DVD discs, no hard drives. Solid state unit produced by the one and only Garmin Industries. I do alot of flying... Ive never seen an Eclipse or Pioneer flight nav setup in any aeronautics situation.. My ramblings might be pointless.... But Garmin has been doing GPS **** for a long time.

Eclipses updated Nav discs are $500 bucks a pop from what I keep reading.

On another note, the GM nav setups are nice. But I want MP3 capability. Which to my knowledge the units did not posess.

AVIC-D2 will NOT play DVD video either. It requires an external player.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Kenwoods navigation unit uses no DVD discs, no hard drives.
Wow....had no idea they did this. Just flash memory I take it? I guess that stuff's pretty darn cheap now, and it only takes about 1.5GB to store all the continental US maps + POI data for a Garmin handheld (basing this on Dad's Garmin 60CSX + City Navigator software).

$500 for nav discs is just plain disgusting.

No MP3 playback capability on a GM unit, I really wish they had that. Mine nav is an 05, I don't think they changed it for 06. The GMT-900 Nav might have it, but I don't think they'll work (guessing they won't even fit).

If you do go with a GM nav....put a readily accessible toggle switch on the VSS wire...otherwise you won't be able to use nav functions while driving.