STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Need Help Choosing Sub, Amp, and Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help Choosing Sub, Amp, and Enclosure

I am a stereo noob to say the least. I know a few things but not nearly enough to make my own descisions

With that being said, I'm looking to add some bass to my '01 Silverado extended cab. Right now it has none, it's pathetic. My head unit will probably be a Kenwood KDC-BT952HD. It has nice features and looks great. The previous owner already has done some wiring for subs under the rear seat. There is a small gauge power cable, some grounds, 12V signal, 2 RCA cables each with 2 RCA plugs, and some other wires that look like speaker wires. I believe the door speakers are Alpine units but I'm not certain. All of them work except for one 4x6 in the rear, haven't had time to check it yet. I think there are six speakers total; 6.5" and tweeters in the doors, and 4x6 in the rear doors.

Right now I'm leaning towards one 12" under the rear seat. The reason for one is that I don't need a ton of bass, and it would be nice to have the other side for storage. Also less weight with one. The reason for 12" is to get the most bang for the buck/space with just one sub. I'm leaning towards getting a package deal with the box, sub, and amp, something like this. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on this since adding bass is low on my priority list at the moment. If I can keep it under $300 I'd be happy.

Some questions I have...
10" or 12"? Will I have a hard time fitting a 12"
Is Kicker an okay brand? If not what would you recommend?
Should I run the door speakers through an amp too? They seen to be fine on the head unit minus the one that doesn't work.
Ported box or sealed?
Any other suggestions for kits?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ported is usually for SPL or louder, and sealed for SQL or crisp quality. Or for the most part.

You want to spend just $300 on a box, amp and sub? Don't forget all wiring and fuses.

Building a box is cheaper, but requires some math and patience. I like my Sundown, but that won't be in your price range. If I were you I would look on CL for a deal.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ah you again, the most helpful person in thus subforum

All of the wiring/fuses are already there, including some wires that I have no idea what they do. I typed up what wires I had in my first post.

I'm too lazy to build my own box, too many other projects going on. Really looking for something to drop right in. I did scour craigslist and didn't find anything local.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

10" kicker truck sub, Amp, and Double Din

I understand it's Texas, just an idea.

Those wires would work, I'd upgrade them, but since you are on a tight budget, leave them.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

to keep it under 300 is not going to be easy.
personally i hate kicker, i dont like the quality of it.
i would suggest either sundown or skar but i know thats more than your price range. so my suggestion first is save up more money. Possibly enough to get you one either sundown sa 12 or skar vvx 12. For a decent amp tat wont cost you alot i would look into hifonics. and like ^^^^ he said i would build your self a box. but again this is just my advise.

if youve heard kicker and you like it and thats what your set at getting then go with it.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

motivation

I've got a couple leaks to work out, but at least I can say I tried anyhow. Damn sure isn't the prettiest!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WICK3DxGATA
to keep it under 300 is not going to be easy.
personally i hate kicker, i dont like the quality of it.
i would suggest either sundown or skar but i know thats more than your price range. so my suggestion first is save up more money. Possibly enough to get you one either sundown sa 12 or skar vvx 12. For a decent amp tat wont cost you alot i would look into hifonics. and like ^^^^ he said i would build your self a box. but again this is just my advise.

if youve heard kicker and you like it and thats what your set at getting then go with it.
hate kicker but you say 'quality', and say Skar woofer and Hifonics amp? LOL
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blueflamed03
hate kicker but you say 'quality', and say Skar woofer and Hifonics amp? LOL
kicker isnt quality. and obviously you dont know much about skar audio because it is actually very good quality. and i understand hifonics isnt that good but this guy isnt trying to spend a whole lot of money so for his price range or alittle above hifonics would get the job done.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is all seriousness, how is Kicker low quality? Short life, poor sound quality, fall apart? I'm not going to be maxing out the sub very often.

Is a single 12" okay? I'm looking to reach those low tones and read that a 12" with a sealed box will help achieve that.

The wiring to the sub is more than sufficient, I believe the power wire from the battery is around 0 gauge.

Last edited by Ferocity02; 09-26-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Is all seriousness, how is Kicker low quality? Short life, poor sound quality, fall apart? I'm not going to be maxing out the sub very often.

Is a single 12" okay? I'm looking to reach those low tones and read that a 12" with a sealed box will help achieve that.

The wiring to the sub is more the sufficient, I believe the power wire from the battery is around 0 gauge.
This is just my opinion and everyones going to have there own. kicker is okay i dont like the sound quality, but there is so much out there that is better. it should last as long as you dont over power it. im just not a fan of it at all and never have been. so if it was me i wouldnt even touch kicker but is it going to work for what you want yeah it probably will

a single 12 is fine if you want you can run two, if you really want to achieve low tones i would build a ported box if you can.

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Sub, Amp, and Enclosure