STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Need Help Choosing Sub, Amp, and Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, personally, I and many others think JL is overrated and overpriced, don't care what they have won.

Sure they sound good, but for less money you can have a "non-mainstream" sub that works as good if not better.

Sundown, Digital Design, Fi...the list goes on.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 AM
formerly 98wytebord (3-14-2012)

Yep I agree Sundown,Digital Designs,Skarr,RE, Obsidian, Tantric are really nice subs and very underated. For instance my Sundown dvc sub says its rated at 600rms. I know guys who put 1500 true watts to them no problems. Alot of the other brands your just paying for the name not saying they aren't good but they have better out there.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by texasglock23
lol, personally, I and many others think JL is overrated and overpriced, don't care what they have won.

Sure they sound good, but for less money you can have a "non-mainstream" sub that works as good if not better.

Sundown, Digital Design, Fi...the list goes on.
Originally Posted by 06SilverBirch
Yep I agree Sundown,Digital Designs,Skarr,RE, Obsidian, Tantric are really nice subs and very underated. For instance my Sundown dvc sub says its rated at 600rms. I know guys who put 1500 true watts to them no problems. Alot of the other brands your just paying for the name not saying they aren't good but they have better out there.
man i cant agree with both of yall more.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Staging Lane

A BIG thing to consider in a truck the space (or lack there of) involved. You want it under the rear seat which is less than 6" of room. Plus you need to allow for the throw of the sub and the thickness of the material used to construct the box (usually MDF) so given those parameters (and assuming you only use 1/2" MDF, which should suffice btw) you are currently looking for a sub that has roughly a 4.75-5" mounting depth AND will require less than 1ft^3 of airspace (sealed). There aren't a great dela of subs that fit this particular profile, but they are out there. The Kicker's CVX series, JL W1 and TW5, just about any shallow mount sub as well.

My PERSONAL tastes lean more towards the JL W1 and TW5 (if you can spend the $) paired with a 250. or 500w amp repectively. I'm a big fan of the HD900/5 from JL and it's very compact. Should install under any seat with ease.

If you want something less conventional, I know you can squeeze a 10" sub under the rear seat with the sub firing into the passengers' feet. Basically the magnet sits under the seat and the cone is exposed. It's more tricky, but it can be done.

Hope this helps in the midst of all the dick waving and name calling...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

My sd2 fits fine.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WICK3DxGATA
okay sorry i didnt read the subs mounting depths but again i still never said he had to go with what i suggested. and obviously im not the only one one this forum that would suggest something thats not name brand just look at all of these guys running sundown audio.
amazing your the pro on Skar when a week or two ago you knew nothing about them.
vvx-8s - SKAR AUDIO - Performance Audio/Reasonable Prices! - SMD Forum

Originally Posted by 06SilverBirch
Digital Designs and Sundown are really totally different than Skar, Obsidian, etc.

DD owns the tooling to make their gear. Some of these other smaller companies go to China, walk in and say make me a woofer call it 'Peter Pan' and put my name on it. So the woofers can be sold on the internet for cheap. They have no tooling cost, no R&D, no store front, not staff, etc nothing.
Anyone have the financial backing can fly to China, place a minimum order and do it. Copy all you want as long as you dont step on copyright infringement. The Chinese dont care, but it's up to you to bring it back in.
Woofers will far exceed power limitations if it's true 'clean' power. problem is, most buy cheap amps, and the THD is far excessive and they end up cooking the coils.

Fi is a great companmy, Scott Atwell whom started the first REAL RE, started Fi, and they are a class act. He's a good dude.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about 2 vs. 4 ohm? I've read that it really doesn't make a difference. 4 ohm might sound a hair better but it's not noticeable. Or that 4 ohm is good if you want to wire two subs in parallel so the amp sees 2 ohms. Other than that, I can't see any advantage to using anything but 2 ohm for a single sub.

Also there are many subs out there that are 150rms/300peak watts, and then some that are 400rms/800peak watts, both for the same price, same size, etc. Let say 95% of the time I will be using under 100 watts of the sub, will the less powerful sub sound better than the higher power one? I have some JL W1V2 12" 8ohm subs for my home stereo and they sound amazing and are very loud, but are only rated at 300W peak I think.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
What about 2 vs. 4 ohm? I've read that it really doesn't make a difference. 4 ohm might sound a hair better but it's not noticeable. Or that 4 ohm is good if you want to wire two subs in parallel so the amp sees 2 ohms. Other than that, I can't see any advantage to using anything but 2 ohm for a single sub.

Also there are many subs out there that are 150rms/300peak watts, and then some that are 400rms/800peak watts, both for the same price, same size, etc. Let say 95% of the time I will be using under 100 watts of the sub, will the less powerful sub sound better than the higher power one? I have some JL W1V2 12" 8ohm subs for my home stereo and they sound amazing and are very loud, but are only rated at 300W peak I think.
well there isnt any sound difference, its just what impedance you need for your amp.
BUT, a 2 ohm load is easier on your electrical.

Say you have an amp that does 500 watts at 2 ohm, and one that does 500 at 1 ohm, the 1 ohm will draw more current.
So it really depends on what subs you choose.
So in order, get box you know will work, then subs that will fit that box, then an amp to power them. If you have a choice, get a final 2 ohm load, save some workout on your alt.

As far as power ratings, some may be SVC ( single voice coil) and some may be DVC ( dual voice coil) But it wont hurt getting a more durable woofer that will handle more power. But be sure to get an amp that will push good, clean power. So if you skimp and get a low powered amp, plan on getting overhead. If your sub is 800 max, get at least a 1000-1200 watta amp.
Amp and enclosure is your main keys to logivity.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=blueflamed03;4997781]amazing your the pro on Skar when a week or two ago you knew nothing about them.
vvx-8s - SKAR AUDIO - Performance Audio/Reasonable Prices! - SMD Forum

i dont see anywhere where i had said i was a pro about skar audio. ive heard the 12s plenty of times and they sound absolutely amazing. i had never heard anybody with the 8s so i was asking what people that had used them thought about them before i spent my money on them instead of the 12s.

and well nice to know ive got you so worked up about this you had to go search for me on another forum. but why dont you go back to that forum and ask people how good kicker is since you feel like its the best thing out there.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blueflamed03
well there isnt any sound difference, its just what impedance you need for your amp.
BUT, a 2 ohm load is easier on your electrical.

Say you have an amp that does 500 watts at 2 ohm, and one that does 500 at 1 ohm, the 1 ohm will draw more current.
So it really depends on what subs you choose.
So in order, get box you know will work, then subs that will fit that box, then an amp to power them. If you have a choice, get a final 2 ohm load, save some workout on your alt.

As far as power ratings, some may be SVC ( single voice coil) and some may be DVC ( dual voice coil) But it wont hurt getting a more durable woofer that will handle more power. But be sure to get an amp that will push good, clean power. So if you skimp and get a low powered amp, plan on getting overhead. If your sub is 800 max, get at least a 1000-1200 watta amp.
Amp and enclosure is your main keys to logivity.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help! One more question... what's the purpose of a DVC sub? All I found online is that it makes it easier to wire the system, or something of that nature.

Quick Reply: Need Help Choosing Sub, Amp, and Enclosure