STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Need Help Choosing Sub, Amp, and Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Thanks for the help! One more question... what's the purpose of a DVC sub? All I found online is that it makes it easier to wire the system, or something of that nature.
wiring differences, and overall ability to handle more power. But if your using 300watts or so, a SVC will suffice.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WICK3DxGATA
i dont see anywhere where i had said i was a pro about skar audio. ive heard the 12s plenty of times and they sound absolutely amazing. i had never heard anybody with the 8s so i was asking what people that had used them thought about them before i spent my money on them instead of the 12s.

and well nice to know ive got you so worked up about this you had to go search for me on another forum. but why dont you go back to that forum and ask people how good kicker is since you feel like its the best thing out there.
I know Steve Meade, and I was a mod on that forum. I never stated it was the best....its just there's a HUGE difference between internet brand and mainstream.

and obviously you dont know much about skar audio because it is actually very good quality
learned alot in two weeks maybe.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welp, went ahead and got the passenger side enclosure, Kicker CVT12 12" sub, Kicker DX500.1 amp, and wiring kit, all for $300 shipped. Not to bad IMO. Also went with the Kenwood KDC-BT952HD head unit and a dash install it.

I think this setup will be more than plenty for my needs. Thanks for all of the help blueflamed and texasglock!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pleasure is all mine, good luck and let us know how it turns out after install!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much misinformation in one thread. I'm glad someone beat me to providing real insight, as opposed to all the "Major brand name stuff sucks, get this internet start up brand they're cheaper and better" talk. If you choose to believe that, by all means do so, but don't try to peddle your snake oil to people looking for good advice.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the system put in yesterday... Kicker CVT12, Kicker DX500 amp, and a pre-built sub enclose. The box looked great, very sturdy. Couple dings from shipping though. I was going to seal up the inside corners with gorilla glue but was too lazy and threw it in as is. Sounds amazing, just what I was looking for. I mounted the amp to the rear panel behind the rear seat, plenty of clearance here. Not bad for $300.

Now I gotta figure out the settings on both the amp and head unit. Not sure where to even start!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good, glad you like it. Start at crossover at 100hz, and no bass boost, gain should be set with DMM .
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, heres my two cents on this;

it all depends on what you wanna do. If you want to stay cheap, and just make random noise, go out and buy some sony 12" and amp, that you can just crank and make shoty sounding noise.
but, in my oppinion, go higher end, will last much longer, sound much better, and you willl be so much more pleased with it.

Spend your money on the head unit. everything is run through your head unit, better the head unit, better the system. Good choice with the Kenwood. I always recommend Kenwood to anyone who asks. They make a great product, easy to use, lots of functions, they sound great and last for ever.

As for sub and amp, I always prefer JL audio. JL sub and amp. I find the two work together best when matched. Run a little bigger amp then you need. That way, you can run your Gain on the amp between Low and Medium, your amp will run cooler, it will sound better cause its not at max, and you can still run the sub in its high end.
JL I've found to be great at just about everything, you can get very good clean bass hits, which are loud, and still sound good, and you can crank their speed up, put on rock, and they hit every note. never skip a beat.
If you want to go cheaper then JL, because JL is quite expensive, then I would go Kicker. Great subs and amp, on a cheaper budget.

Box: Again, all in what you want. Seal box will alot the sub to high quicker, wont be as loud on the long deep bass hits, but helps keep the subs speed up. Much better for music like rock, which is much chicker pace.
Ported box will be louder, you will get much louder, deeper sound on the slower pace bass hits.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, what I've found to work best over the years.