STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Need some help with system.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with system.

I need help on what brands to put in a 2008 crew cab chevy.I want a 7"dd touch screen.I dont need navi.I would like to be able to change the wallpaper/background to a custom 1.I also need speakers for the doors.I liked the Infinity kappas.I will need 2 amps 1 for highs and 1 for 2 kicker cvt 10"s. 2 ohms 400 watts RMS in a downfire probox.I would like to stay under $1000.I already have the subs and box.I listen to 80's rock,country,hinder,buckcherry etc...Ive been doing research for 3 months now.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

check out www.onlinecar stereo.com hella good deals
Old 01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If in fact you have been doing research for 3 months you should have a pretty good list together. Simply pic the things off your list that fit into your price range. One thing to remember on the amps especially is to get name-brand so you know the amp does rated power. Other than that you really need to decide for yourself as you are the one thats going to be listening to it. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you and if you ask for people to tell you what amps and speakers to get they will just generaly tell you what the have is the best. Find a store that has the speakers you want and go listen to them yourself. That is really the only way you will know.

Thomas
Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Thats what ive been doing and every shop tells me this and that isnt good.I started off with JVC KW-AVX810 but 1 guy said they break cause face is too heavy.I wanted kicker amps but 1 guy said kicker for subs but kicker sucks for highs and to go with JBL .Went back 2 weeks later and he said i should go with kenwood for both.Other shop said ORION amps.I dont want SPL i would like SQ.What do you recommend? So i can go and listen to see if i like.Thanks and sorry for all the questions.I just only wanna buy 1 time and not have to worry about upgrades.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

I really dont think it will matter all that much on the headunit as long as you go with a good quality one. If you were to choose a Boss brand one, I would say prepare for it to take a crap soon. If you get one from the likes of JVC, Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse, you should be happy with it because these are the better quality brands. Just pick the one that best suits your budget and features that you want.

For speakers, the best thing I can tell you is to go to as many car stereo shops and listen to every component set they have. You need to pick out what sounds best to YOU. I have DLS magnesium components. I personally love them because they are a more mellow component set but can be bright when playing very loud. But some guys might like a component set that sounds harsh to my ears. So it really depends on what you want.

For the subs, I really would say to stick away from the CVT's. Unless you have heard them or already own them, I would pick something else. I have heard them and was not impressed. Their are much better products out there that have a small mounting depth. The setup I listened to had Memphis subs in his truck then switched to CVT's and absolutely hated that he did.

Amps.... you get what you pay for mostly. If you buy a cheaper quality amp, you will have an amp that barely puts out its rated power, may not give you the cleanest signal and will be inefficient. If you go with something like the JBL or Memphis or a ton of other brands, you will have a good quality amp that you will get a clean signal(as long as they are tuned properly) and they will be pretty efficient for their design.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

odd, heard a ton of good about the Memphis and CVT subs...

anyway, look at a three channel amp, instead of two. One with a class A/B front, and class D for subs. That will save you some cash. Kicker 550.3 will do it.

I wanted kicker amps but 1 guy said kicker for subs but kicker sucks for highs and to go with JBL
is he talking mid/highs? or highs in subwoofers?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Kicker amp for the subs and JBL for my door speakers mids/highs.I just wanna get people that dont sell or sponsors a brand advice.