STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

new box for the hoe

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new box for the hoe

alright its about that time to build a box for the tahoe. my subs made it through the truck fire and now they want to go into the tahoe lol. i got a few ideas. i was thinking about under the second row seat on the 60 side of the 60/40 split. but theres just not enough room. sooo.. i figured i would put them behind the rear seat. so i took some measurments and some thinking. for now i have two jl12w1's but am going to upgrade later. maybe some 13w6's or so. here is what i have to work with. 35"wide by17" tall. now for the good part if i build it square it will be 11" deep but if i build it to fit the contor of the seat it will be 11" bottom and 8" on top. i need to remeasure the top side with a level to be for sure. remember they will be in the very back behind the third row seat. so.......

1. do i face them rear or foward?
2. do i contour the seat or build square?

i'm thinking a amp rack under the middle row on the 60 side. now for somemore good stuff. i need to make the box so i can take it out. i was thinking a couple handles but don't want it to look too crapy and i sure as hell don't want it to say take me i have handles lol. so do i put some on the side or what? there are the two cargo latches on the floor one on each side of where the box would be. i was thinking of makeing some kind of atchment to hold the box still so it don't slide around or get smashed up against the hatch.

should i do tan carpet or light tan vynal to match?

ok i think thats all the info. what do you think? gimmie some helpful info here.

Last edited by 4.8T; 01-06-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always liked the way downfiring sub boxes look and sound. Then you could mount the amp on the top or front/back of the box as well. Downfiring box with ports in the top with those JL's would sound badass.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

down fireing in a open hatch of a tahoe? never thought of that really.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear fireing for sure. The reproduction of sound is more important than sound production. Meaning a good setup with pyramid 12"s will sound better than a bad box with JL's. Rear fireing redirects the bass so in general it sounds better. If I was you I would build a square box and mount the box the amp to the back of it in the space between the seat. I would also vinyl wrap it to match like the other box I built. You will need wood putty and a good sander to make the vinyl look smooth, it likes to show imperfections.

Also, you listen to mostly rap. So NO PORT. Big sealed boxes make deep bass, ported make punchy bass.

As far as making it to come out, your in a squadron. Get a couple cannon plugs and hook it up that way. Easy.

Or you could drive down to TX and visit and I would build you one. LOL
Old 01-06-2007, 11:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i thought about the cannon plug thing already lol. but i don't think the rca's would like it too much. ut then again those just unplug any way. i just want it to be clean is all. not like tan vinyl and grey interior. lol i'm not useing the space under my seat though and with the car seat there the 60 side don't move either. we do have cannon plugs that have two 4guage pins and the others are like 16 guage. that would work for power ground and turn on and if the amp was mounted to the box then i wouldn't need to disconnect the speakers. and rca's just un plug hmmmm.... am i mising any wires here?that might could work. then mount a nice strap to each side to latch to the cargo hold points on the floor to mount it. and put to loops on the sides about the straps by about 6 or so inches and when you disconect from the cargo point you can just atach to the loops and BAM you have a set of handles. woot this just might work lol what do ya think?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Just remember you have to predrill MDF so it doesnt seperate. Screws every 3-5", and wood glue out the ***. LOL I bet it will be pretty cool. The vinyl will be easy since you only have 2 sides visible. A crafts store is the best for exact matches. Michaels had like 4 colors close to mine.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you have the BOSE system? Where is the sub?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

yeah its under the center console its like 6" i believe. it sounds good for what it is but i want alittle more. hell the tahoe is like a big bass tube as it is. just needs the suds to make it work lol.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

I wonder is you could use the input for that sub amp to the high level input on your system your building. It would keep the bose sound geomitry, just have more thump.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 AM
12 Second Truck Club

there is a piggy back piece made just for that. already looked it up

Quick Reply: new box for the hoe