STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

new box for the hoe

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow what a pain in the ***. ok someone look at the diagram and tell me what size to cut the boards for the port. i think i got it but its confusing some also.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
Also, you listen to mostly rap. So NO PORT. Big sealed boxes make deep bass, ported make punchy bass.
You've got that exactly backwards. Ported boxes are for mostly rap. Why do you think SPL comps are won wtih ported enclosures? Large sealed boxes sound like ****, frankly. It's easier for the sub to bottom out that way. Smaller sealed boxes give you that punchy bass. If you want maximum SPL with maximum SQ, go with a good driver, such as Resonant Engineering, Fi Audio, or the JL w7 and build yourself a Transmission Line (TL) enclosure. It's based off the quarter wave theory and produces a flat response with roughly 3db more than a ported box of the same overall size.

I've got a Resonant Engineering SX 15" in a 5.5 cu ft box tuned to 33 hertz and hit a 146.3.... Not too bad for being tuned so low.

If you want SPL, go ported. You can select a very STIFF driver (such as the Resonant Engineering SX or Fi Audio Q-series) and get VERY nice response in a ported enclosure. If you want mostly SQ without the "boom", go with a sealed enclosure to the manufacturer's specs. If you want the best of both worlds, research and build a TL enclosure. You can't just say you want x cu ft tuned to y freq with a TL enclosure. It's designed around the actual parameters of the woofer, giving you a 100% custom enclosure. For example, the specs of a Resonant Engineering SX 15 is different than a Kicker CompVR 15. You wouldn't be able to use the Kicker CVR 15 in the same enclosure and expect to have the same response. The TL design is much more difficult to design, but if you are mathematically inclined in any way, you won't have much problem....

Hope this helps!

www.realmofexcursion.com

Go there for some wangin videos. Go under Videos then select the manufacturer of your choice. Resonant Engineering is listed as RE Audio.

Here's my setup...

http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/REAudio/sx15.23.wmv

Powered by a JBL bp1200.1

Last edited by ramdaspadhye; 01-14-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

My BOSE home theater for example has a ported acoustimas that has almost no sound pressure level change, but puts out tons of bass. Minimal pressure change and max sound waves is what they use.

Bose is a big heap of ****, imo. The bose systems are based off the quarter wave theory. the port length of that little subwoofer enclosure is extremely long, and changes shape in the enclosure. You have compression chambers and horns and what not. that's what makes the sound sound so...bold from a 6.5" driver. You can build your own home theater system designed FOR YOUR ROOM for much less. www.partsexpress.com

I'm sure everyone knows that home theaters aren't universal and have to be designed to your room. If you don't consider the actual size of the room and how much sound absorbing material you have, you can make your theater sound too "wet" or too "dry."
Old 01-14-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Lost me with the BOSE being ****. If they were **** then they wouldnt be the world leader in sound engineering and the TOP in original sound reproduction.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Lost me with the BOSE being ****. If they were **** then they wouldnt be the world leader in sound engineering and the TOP in original sound reproduction.
They're the world's leader beacause they paid a group of engineers to "perfect" the quarter wave theory. Their satellite speakers are definately sub-par. How do you expect to get a full response out of a 2 or 3" speaker? You can't. Frankly, they sound dry in almost any setting. Their "subwoofer" setup is all they ahve going, and again, that is based off the quarter-wave theory. Original sound reproduction? I think not... Quarter wave theory came way before bose. Find you some old-school Klipsche horns and you'll hear nice quality...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

not quiet done yet but here are a few picks. be nice its not done just yet lol.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/DSC03533.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/DSC03532.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...o/DSC03531.jpg
Old 01-16-2007, 06:05 PM
12 Second Truck Club

not quiet done yet but here are a few picks. be nice its not done just yet lol.