STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Quality Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality Gauges?

I was wondering if there are any suggestions on quality gauges that won't brake the bank. I have been a faithful with Autometer for automotive applications and Isspro for my boats. After spending thousands of dollars on Autometer products I have been reconsidering them for my latest instrumentation needs, after getting another quote back that is in the thousands range.

Autometer does provide very good customer support along with providing a full backing behind their products along with quality instrumentation, but they seem to be priced very high. I am beginning to think that a lot of that may go into paying for their name and advertising campaigns. Isspro does offer automotive gauges but they do not seem to be any cheaper and many of their gauges have separate controller units that can take up space under the dash.

Right now I have two personal projects that are in need of instrumentation one requires a full set with speedo, tach, battery, water temp, oil pressure, fuel level, tranny temp, pyrometer, boost, and fuel pressure, the other one will have supplements to the factory cluster with boost, fuel pressure pyrometer, tach, tranny temp, and air pressure. The preference is to go with all electric gauges in either Autometer Cobalt or Sport Comp II, now I'm looking for an alternative.

Does anyone have any experience with quality aftermarket gauges that they are happy with and can you please share your experience on them. At the shop I have dealt with numerous cheep brands such as those glow gauges and other Chinese brands, they seem to work, but don't know about their accuracy or durability. Sometimes I even get comments from customers that I am ripping them off with gauge quotes when they find out the price of an autometer gauge costs more than a set of three or four Chinese gauges installed from the down the street, could this actually be true?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Well DEFI gauges fulfill everything but the cheap part of your post.

http://www.defi-shop.com/

-John
Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't have to be dirt cheep, I just didn't feel like spending a few thousand on gauges.