STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

question for guys with single cabs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question for guys with single cabs

well guys, im looking at geting a new system. price isnt my main concern, i just sold one of my old systems, so between what i saved up for a new system and what i made off the other i have a decent amount. my question is what do you guys who already have systems prefer 10's or 12's? single sub or 2, sealed or ported box???? here is my MAIN concerns and what not. LEG ROOM, i'm a kinda short fellow only 5'7 so i have some room to play with but not too too much. Sound quality is next, i want something that sounds good, not all distorted and cracklely , next is BASS , i love deep frequencies but also like the middle range too. right now i'm open to any company basically, well except kicker, never been a fan of kicker. let me know what u have and how you like it., pics would be greatly appreciated too, THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 01-22-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 JL 10w1s and they work great for me. Didn't loose too much room, actually didn't really have to loose any, but the way I built the box I did. Decided to go with them as my dually has the JL stealth box in it with the same subs and they sound great! Figured it was hard to lose with the same subs and amp.

If you wanted shallow mounts people say the Kenwood and Rockford shallows are good. They say the JL shallows are great, but they are costly.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a pair of the Kenwood shallow mounts, and worked really well..no real legroom loss either.

Now in the process of building a fiberglass center console, housing a JL10w7...ported..should work good also.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

i've had everything from 1 10" to 6 12"s in a regular cab. (no blow through box i might add)

2 12's in a sealed box will give u room and the bass clarity u want, but make sure ur dead on with the air space they need.... if not u will hear them bottoming out or what not

1 10" in a ported box (crossfire BMF 10 on a 600 D amp) gave me lots of room (im 6'4") and the bass was hard deep. and clarity was good.... but with ported boxes if u turn them up u can hear the speaker bottoming out with out the pressure and u can smell the voice coil burning. lol

pm me and we can talk more of the subject. (been with installs for almost 10 years, free time tho)
Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a pair of 10W0 in my truck for a long time. First enclosure was split with an amp rack in the middle. Second enclosure had both woofers beside each other on the driver's side (so I could mount my bottle on the pass.). First enclosure sounded better but second was not bad at all. I am also 6'4" and had the seats all the way back with both enclosures. The truck now has a single old PPI 10" and dosn't sound near as good as the pair of JL's. My old side by side enclosure is now in my Tahoe with a pair of 10W1v2 and they sound pretty good. BTW... all my enclosures are sealed as I prefer the sound over ported enclosures.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im 6'3 and had 2 - 12's behind my seat in a single cab. i had plenty of leg room. seat went all the way back still
Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

To answer your concerns.........You will want to go with a sealed box in your case first of all because you want sound quality and second of all because you want low AND mid frequencies. I would also probably go with a 10" in your case.

As far as what I have had......(I only have pics of the R's and the DD)

1 Memphis M3 12(ported and sealed)

2 Alpine type R 12(sealed)

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...dio/audio2.jpg

1 Kicker soloX 10(ported)

1 Digital Designs 1008a 8(ported)

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/DSCN0038.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/DSCN0040.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/DSCN0041.jpg

Thomas
Old 01-29-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Canucktrux
Now in the process of building a fiberglass center console, housing a JL10w7...ported..should work good also.
Thats what i just had put in mine and i love it.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Launching!

This is what I did on my old crew cab, my bros 07 classic reg cab and im gonna do it on my 05 reg cab.

We got a custom ported box made to spec. for 2 12" w6 we got our plasma cutter out cut a port hole in bed and cab so the port could slide in ran a 500/1 jl bose speakers in the doors and panels man let me tell you that is by far one best ways to get quality sound out of a truck by mounting the box in the bed and having it blow through. A lil extreme but worked for us.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

If you can fit the 12", go with the 12. Do a single 12" in a ported box. If you dont think you can fit a 12" because of the mounting depth, do a 10" or 2 10" subs.... ported. let me say this again.... ported. I have built many boxes, sealed, ported, 4th order, 6th order. I will no longer build a sealed box. If the sub plays better in sealed, ill probably throw it in a 4th order. But you can make a ported box be louder and sound better than a sealed box. You really just have to know what you are doing. Your box size needs to be within manufacturer specs and tailered based on the amount of power you have. Then the port length needs to be the correct length to get a low tuning frequency.

If you want something that sounds good and gets loud, make sure you get a good brand sub. Guys say the have JL on here. JL is good stuff, way overpriced though. I probably will never buy anything JL in my life because thats just the way I feel. Shallow mount subs I can say are not all that great. Especially the Kicker CVT's which you said you arent getting kicker anyways. Brands I would reccommend because I have used them and have liked them would be Memphis, Alpine(type R's), Digital Designs(currently own), Maxxsonics brands(Crunch, Hifonics, Autotek), RE audio, and others but I cant think right now.

Personal reccommendation.... DD 1508's or 1510's. Probably 1510's if you can fit them. 2 of them ported(which is only what the manufacturer reccommends) and they should play pretty good. I did 4 DD 1508's in a honda civic on 2500rms.... that sucker was loud, probably louder than normal people could handle.

Quick Reply: question for guys with single cabs