STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Regular Cab Subs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CC05
. There's really no need for the inverted extended-cab box or anything custom. Just.fcking.saying.

I dunno if I came off as to sound like I was recommending he get one, but the pic posted...he already had the box, and made best use of it. Pretty good idea, imo.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

2 8in bazookas!!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

although it doesnt fit your bill heres my reg cab setup, single 10 center console

Name:  DSC02066.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  86.4 KB
Name:  DSC02063.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  96.5 KB
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's fcking good work, man!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Last Call
I ran the components in the doors behind the grilles in my extended cab and they sounded great. I also ran 5.25's in the rear doors, so it was plenty loud for me. I just don't think a set of 6.5's in the doors will be loud enough.

I have never heard of an PDF baffle, have any pictures of yours? I plan to remove the carpet and deaden the entire cab to include the doors. I was told the kick panels didn't sound too good, so I was going to stay away from them.
If you don't mind cutting the inner metal of the door for clearance, you can put two 6.5" speakers in the door, but you're going to need to make a custom pod to fit where the grille goes.

If you run enough power to a component set, one set should be plenty loud inside the cab, but not going to be able to fill a parking lot with sound when you pull up. For example, I'm running a three way active front setup that has 190 watts rms going to each my 6.5" mid-basses, 90 going to each 4" midrange, and 90 going to each tweeter, and it's enough to make me want to get out of the truck when it's running ***** out.

For the MDF baffle, I'm talking about cutting a speaker ring out of MDF and screwing that between the metal of your inner door and the speaker. This will help to further deaden the panel, and give you a very solid surface for the speaker to mount to.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SilverSquared
Just my personal experience/opinions...

If a regular sub fits...why go shallow?
Shallows cost more.
Shallows move less.
Shallows need SAME airspace (in most cases)

The bass, which is meant to be a deeper note, isnt very deep. I personally see no reason to EVER purchase a shallow sub...especially in a truck. RC, EC, or CC.

Now, if you dont care about the bass (why bother anyway?) then sure, go shallow. 99% of ppl think because its shallow, it takes less air space, so they make a small box, and in the end, they want more.

See the pics of the guy's RC and he has an EC downfire box behind the seat? He doesnt need shallows. And I bet those sound better than the TW5s, and they are a FRACTION of the cost and are much more effecient.
1st off, every shallow mount I deal with uses much less than their equivalent regular sub...for example, the tw5 you wanted to trash is intended to function in less than 1cf while the w3v3 (still not as high power handling and only 1.5db more efficient which is inaudible) requires 1.25cf, and the TW5 only has 2.5" mounting depth, so you can easily fit it behind a seat.

Your preference is definitely biased against shallow subs, but many people refuse to lose any cargo capacity, or seating area so a shallow mount sub is what they need, and will work perfectly fine for someone who isn't looking to have over-the-top bass (which most of those people are fine making some concessions for the need for bass).

I'm not at all saying a shallow mount is better all around than a standard sub, but it's a viable option for someone looking to preserve their space.

Originally Posted by CC05
That's fcking good work, man!
x2, the engine-turn looks great.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks everyone for the posts, information, and pictures!

At this point, I am going to get a Probox. I can't find anyone that has them in stock, but I will keep looking. If anybody knows where to buy one, please post a link. I have a set of older JL Audio W0's I am going install in them and run them off a JL 500/1.

I wanted to do the pods on the door, but after thinking about it more, I am going to try the kick panels and see how they sound. I have a JL 300/4 powering a set of Quartz 6.5 and 5.25 components. Hopefully it sounds good.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

where are you located?

I saw a bunch the other day in Pasadena, if your in houston...
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by colekill
where are you located?

I saw a bunch the other day in Pasadena, if your in houston...
I am in SF, CA.. Do you know if they ship??
Old 05-04-2012, 02:58 PM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

probably not, they are just a little small time car audio shop.

Quick Reply: Regular Cab Subs