STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Rockford fans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98vortecbw
I just started to get into audio stuff and I got some RF dor speakers. I have always liked their stuff. Does anyone have issues with them? Eventually I would like to get a full system with 2 10" P2's, how many watts would my amp have to be to power these... im not lookin for competition sound just something to impress my friends with and also what is a good BASIC head unt thats not too expensive?
All kidding aside, go by a local shop (a real shop, not best buy or ultimate electronics) and check out some subs in the sound room. Find what fits your budget that sounds good to you. Make sure they are using a realistic amplifier (also within your budget) Keep in mind, I used to be a rockford dealer (once they switched to the P1,2,3 and T1,2 line I kept it for one year and dropped them) I do know that the reliability of their products is quite poor lately. Sure, the P2 can make bass, but so can any woofer. You basically want something that sounds good that wont break. My recommendation would be (at about the same price as the P2) would be the JL W1 or a Diamond D1. I have also heard good things about the JBL line of woofers (I think the GT is about that price) but I don't sell it so I don't know much about the product. There are a lot of other things you would be happy with, but at that price range that is what I would recommend. Both woofers would run fine with 300-400 watts (watch for CEA2006 ratings since they are a standardized way of rating amps and you can be sure your getting that amount of power) The JL E1400 works well (2 year warranty) or the Diamond D3 400.2 is a good one (Lifetime warranty if installed by dealer) both are about 300 bucks MAP. Also, remember at those smaller shops to haggle with them a bit, they have room to work with, but also remember that they have bills to pay also (big bills) so don't expect internet pricing (internet often sells B-stock or "shady" merchandise with serial numbers removed)
Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
You guys got him started

Too bad he speaks the truth hahaha
I left a good post too, c'mon don't beat up on me too bad.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by retsell
I left a good post too, c'mon don't beat up on me too bad.

Not me, I love your posts. Its exactly what I feel. Then again being a high end dealer also kinda makes us share similar opinions.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Not me, I love your posts. Its exactly what I feel. Then again being a high end dealer also kinda makes us share similar opinions.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, well while w'ere on the sub thing I have a question.

I have an infinity 600x1 amp (model in sig) and I have the shitty 10" sub. It doesnt give the bass I want, I'm thinking a 12". I had planned on using my friends discount and getting a 1200 watt infinity amp and 12" perfect sub, but he cant get discount on infinity. So w/o getting a new amp, whats the best (in your guy's opinion) sounding, loudest, highest quality sub I can get and couple to that amp?
Old 02-14-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by spitfire2332
Alright, well while w'ere on the sub thing I have a question.

I have an infinity 600x1 amp (model in sig) and I have the shitty 10" sub. It doesnt give the bass I want, I'm thinking a 12". I had planned on using my friends discount and getting a 1200 watt infinity amp and 12" perfect sub, but he cant get discount on infinity. So w/o getting a new amp, whats the best (in your guy's opinion) sounding, loudest, highest quality sub I can get and couple to that amp?
You've got at least 650 watts available at 2 ohms. You want more bass, so you need more cone area or excursion. 2 things effect the amount of bass a woofer can have: cone area and excursion. Since you are probably fitting this under a seat, high excursion woofers are pretty much out of the question. Most downfiring boxes don't allow much room between the floor and the box, so you're kind of physically limited. Also, many high excursion woofers are too deep to fit under there anyhow. So, really your best bet is to go with more cone area. Going from a 10 to a 12 is not going to give you a significant difference. I would go to a pair of woofers such as Diamond Audio's D3 woofers. They handle about 400 watts RMS each, and will fit in most prefabbed enclosures. They have a 3 year warranty (of course if purchased from an authorized dealer, not on the internet) and they perform really well. Find a Diamond dealer local to you, and go in and offer them 135.00 each for the woofers plus tax. They retail for 180 each, you'll be getting a good deal and they will still make a couple bucks on the deal (that's about the lowest I ever sell them) You should be able to get out of there for about 400 bucks plus tax with a dual 12 downfiring box, and both woofers. You'll want D312D2 woofers.

You could also go with the D1, but with that much power you may cause problems. Also check out the 12w3 woofers from JL, but it's a little bit more work to get them in a prefabed box (but it is possible) but you'll spend a couple hundred bucks more overall to get into those.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

well I'm not totally sure where the subs will be going, I'm selling my truck, but either getting a RC or EC. If I get EC I'll probably jack the seat up, I dont know what kind of room there is in a RC though.