STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

stock head unit output questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stock head unit output questions

i have bose in my tahoe. being that the amp is i the center console what type of out put does the head unit have? is it like a preamp output type with out rca's or is it just a regular aoutput only not as strong? i want to keep my stock head unit. but i'm thinking of replaceing all the speakers with jl and bypassing the stock amp. would getting one of those interface things like this http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacaoemgm24.html give good signal to aftermarket amps? or would it be easier to just solder on some rca jacks to the head unit output?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If it were mine..........

I would just solder 2 Line Output Converters in the speaker wire at the amp in the center console and run your rca's from that. Then run new speaker wire from each of the new speakers to the amp. In this way, if you ever sell the tahoe you can simply cut the LOC's off and retape the wires, reinstall the factory speakers and hook them back up with the factory wires, then pull the new speaker wire and amp out and everything is back to stock and you get to keep all your aftermarket stuff....
Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i may try that but it has to go between the radio and amp becuase if the amp don't work then nothing works. and my amp is shot. the inter connection box thing does the same thing only without soldering.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

the line output converters (LOC) goes between the factory amp and the speakers. if the amp is not working then it will not carry the signal from the speakers through it if you hook the LOC between the amp and the radio. However, if the amp is not coming on and is not allowing your radio to come on the best bet is to just put a new head unit in and rerun all your wires to each speaker from the new amp.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

but it the amount of crap you have to buy to keep steering wheel controls, onstar, and xm makes wonder if its worth it. i don't want another xm antana (spelling) beside my stock xm one thats there. and i read something about haeing to pull a fuse to load a tune with aftermarket head units that have onstar adapters. thats what the adapter web site said anyway. my head unit is a 6 disc changer with xm so its hard to toss.

sound from the radio is there but the amp it not working. the rear radio with ear phones works. i also hooked up a small speaker to the radio output. it was very very low but it was there.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, there is alot of stuff you have to buy to retain steering wheel controls, onstar, etc. that is just up to you if you want to mess with all that or not.....
Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i think for now i may just get the piece that goes inline with the radio and amp and get a 4 channel amp. i can get all of it pretty cheap. then i can get a good headunit later after i get my car motor rebuilt. its starting to smoke a bit and its my gas sipper for drving to work.