STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Turn signal melted

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal melted

I tried searching for similar issues but came up with nothing.

I recently purchased a 2001 rcsb silverado. I started upgrading all the lighting to led/hid and ran into a problem. I installed 52 smd bulb in the drl's and purchased some new style "cree" 3157 bulb for the turn signals. I was going to go with some smd/led bulbs but after seeing a demonstration of the new "cree" bulb at the shop and noticing they were at least twice as bright as led I decided to give them a shot at $40 a pair. Here's where the problems start.

After installing them in my turn signal socket I immediately noticed that as soon as I turned the truck on both turn signal indicators on my dash would stay solid. When I would move the turn signal lever all I would hear was a buzz coming from the flasher relay. I had some resistors from a previous project so instead of doing the flasher mod I went ahead and installed those and problem solved. Signals would behave like normal and indicators on the dash were no longer solid.

Now the big problem is, as soon as my low beams come on at night the turn signal problem comes back. Last night while I was trying to diagnose the problem I popped off the turn signal housing and noticed that my bulb and socket were completely melted. I tried a new set of the same "cree" bulbs and the same thing happened. I even tried another set of the same bulbs in a buddy's 2000 rcsb silverado and the same thing happened. It looks like its only happening on the driver side socket, the passenger side is fine. We threw in some 3156(single filament) type led bulb in and they work fine, they just dont come on while the low beams are on. Any idea's what could be causing the issue on the driver side turn signal? I was thinking of adding another resistor to the third wire on the signal bulb but wanted to get some opinions before I did.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to explain the issue in detail.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of the damage to the bulb

Name:  IMAG0577_zps336af3fc.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  40.3 KB