STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Upgrading: Head unit, components, coaxles, adding subs & amps, need recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:07 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading: Head unit, components, coaxles, adding subs & amps, need recommendations.

I've got a 2006 2500HD LBZ Duramax crew cab and I'm wanting to upgrade my sound system. I'd like to add 2 JL Audio 10W3V2 subs with a JL Audio 500/1 amp. I would also like to upgrade my components and coaxles and run the JL Audio 300/4. Lastly, I would like to upgrade my Bose 6 in-dash CD player with a DVD/CD/AM/FM player. What components and coaxles do you recommend with a JL Audio 300/4? As far as the head unit goes, these are the features I'm looking for:

-In-dash, but not the ones that motorize out of the dash and flips up
-Touch screen
-Plays DVDs, burned DVDs, CDs, burned CDs,
-AM/FM tuner
-Satellite ready
-Able to hook up Playstation 2
-Able to hook up back up camera (I doubt I'll ever get one, but just in case)

By the way, has anyone fit 2 JL Audio 10W3V2s behind or under the rear seat of a Chevy crew cab?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

well for a HU I'd recommend this, alpine is real nice stuff, it isnt TOO much, but its not out until later this month. LINK

For comoponents I'm gonna recommend what I have, infinity 6.1 perfects. Since you have a CC I'd go ahead and put another set of the perfects in the rear doors. They get real loud and sound real clean.

As for the subs I dunno, someone else will have to chime in.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

As far as the subs and amp go that'd be what I would do. Go alpine on the HU. I have the alpine type x components in the door powered by the alpine 450x4 and like them alot. There's a lot of good speakers out there its just a matter of opinion.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club NA

You're the 2nd person who has recommended me that head unit. I'm so undecisive about everything and this is becoming so complicated for me. I talked to my installer again yesterday and he said that 2 JL Audio 10W3V2s would fit behind the seat, but I run the risk of blowing them as there won't be any room for the subs to flex and would be hitting up against the back of the seat. I've had other people tell me to put them under the seat as there's more room. Then someone suggested that if I go under the seat, I should opt for the 10W6V2s. So this has been really confusing.

As far as the subs go, I'm set on JL Audio. I want go as big as I can behind or under the seat without doing major surgery. When I state big, meaning size of sub and higher up in the series. Actually, I want to keep it as stealth like as possible.

Now as far as components go, I've been recommended Focal, Infinity, Dyn Audio, Diamond Audio, Morel, and MB Quarts. There's just so many options out there, its hard to decide. Some say Focal are the best sounding, then some say MB Quarts, then Dyno Audio. Grrr...what should I do? I want it to sound good, but I don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a set of components. Its my daily driver that I'd like to upgarde on the sound system, not looking to put it in a competition.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

I have 2 10W1V2s running off a 250w JL and I have been really impressed with them. The good thing about them also is they fit real well in small spaces. You might try the 12W1s. I thought they would be underpowered but they're almost more than I need. As far as the speakers go, like I said earlier, its hard to pick. I got the alpines just cuz im an alpine guy. From my experience thought as long as you set them right you wont be dissapointed.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

O and make sure you amp the components. I ran mine without an amp for awhile thinkin it wasnt that big of a deal but once i got the money and hooked an amp up i wonder how i ever got along without.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:33 PM
9 Second Club NA

I plan to run the JL Audio 300/4 for the components and coaxles. Just have to decide on which ones.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

You might as well go with JL components then.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10W7 in a ported box will hit alot harder than 12s of anything. My buddy has a 10W7 in his rcsb 88 chevy and it sounds badass better than my orion 12s which hit hard. I bought a 12W7 to put under my rear seat since they sound so badass. Put the sub under the seat and mount your amps behind the seat that is the way mine is. If the crew cab is the same as the half ton then there is plenty of room under the rer seat for the sub.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ya if the W7s will fit go for it. Everything ive heard about them is badass. I just have a reg. cab and didnt think one would fit or thats what i would have got.

Quick Reply: Upgrading: Head unit, components, coaxles, adding subs & amps, need recommendations.