STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Upgrading Subs - JL Audio or MB Quart

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading Subs - JL Audio or MB Quart

Alright guys/gals. After 3 years of heavy use, one of my 10" MB Quart Premiums have tapped out. (Dust cap started seperating from the surround.)

So I'm ready for an upgrade. So my question is, do I go to the 12" version of the MB Quart, or do I spend the extra $10 per sub and go for a pair of 12" W3's from JL?

The MB Quarts were great subs. So I'm leaning towards though, but everyone seems to really like JL subs, so I figured I'd get an opinion from you guys/gals.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 jl w1 10" and I love them if I could get 2 w3's Id get them in a heart beat. But both brands are great.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Teching In

U should check out some digital designs subs they're freakn awesome.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

After a few hours of scouring the interwebs, I've decided on the JL's. The general consensus is the JL for bass, and MB for mids. The place that I get my stereo stuff from doesn't carry Digital Designs, so I didn't look too much into them. There was also some places from a couple months ago that said MB Quart's quality has dipped since being sold off.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

JL's out of the two that you've previously decided on; however, I try to stray away from the shitty subs that wow the local crowd. Check out DD, Focal, DLS, CDT, RE Audio, etc. The sq and build quality that you'll get from the right lines of those, will kill what'd you get from the W3. I'm not downing JL, but you can get better for the price.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CC05
JL's out of the two that you've previously decided on; however, I try to stray away from the shitty subs that wow the local crowd. Check out DD, Focal, DLS, CDT, RE Audio, etc. The sq and build quality that you'll get from the right lines of those, will kill what'd you get from the W3. I'm not downing JL, but you can get better for the price.
I paid 189.99/sub for the JL's. I get all my stuff from the same online store, they seem to have reasonable prices and a pretty full inventory. The only issue I thought I would ever have was I had a buddy of mine that we got some P1's for and he separated the suspension from the basket in about 15 days. They didn't ask questions, and just sent me a new pair. Been a loyal customer ever since.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Sonic? I've got a fairly "local" DD dealer but if I ever want any of the smaller brands online, I usually give woofersetc.com a call. All-in-all, I hope the subs satisfy you, man!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Dd 3500 8s are beast!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't be dissapointed with the w3's they are a great sub and can take a beating. JL stuff has always been great! I have a 10" w6v3 sitting in my closet that is going in my truck as soon as I can get to it!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CC05
Sonic? I've got a fairly "local" DD dealer but if I ever want any of the smaller brands online, I usually give woofersetc.com a call. All-in-all, I hope the subs satisfy you, man!
Woofersetc is where I get all my stuff, beings that I'm about 80 miles from an audio shop and 100 miles from agood one. Just didn't want to post it in case it upset a mod. I've never had 12s, so I think any decent quality sub would have made me happy. I've always been alright with my 10's, especially after I ported my boxes, but they still seemed to lack a bit on those deep lows.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Subs - JL Audio or MB Quart