STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

what setup? reg cab 05.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
A soloX 10" is not too deep, I have one in my truck.

My point is you can make any 10" or 12" fit with out using any torch so then it becomes a money issue.

However, I dont think this guy has looked at this thread in forever, or at least hasnt commented on it so all this advice is for not.
A Solo X 10" is 8 3/8 deep, then you realistically need 1.5" behind the motor. Then the sheer weight, you may need to double wall the face for the woofer. before you know it your talking minimum 13-14".
Plus, IMHO, a ported Solo X even comparing against 3 L78's, the 8's would be louder, offer better SQ, and be in a smaller enclosure.
Sure you can get a 10" or 12" to fit, the Kicker CVT 12" is 4 5/16's, so three 12's sealed is even possible.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get some serious setup installed in the bed and have it ported inside 1foot by 1foot opening is enough.. that will make you deaf in a couple of weeks
Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

I did one shallow mount 12" Kenwood Excelon sub and it jams!!! 4" mounting depth...I can post pics tonight if you would like..
Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blueflamed03
A Solo X 10" is 8 3/8 deep, then you realistically need 1.5" behind the motor. Then the sheer weight, you may need to double wall the face for the woofer. before you know it your talking minimum 13-14".
Plus, IMHO, a ported Solo X even comparing against 3 L78's, the 8's would be louder, offer better SQ, and be in a smaller enclosure.
Sure you can get a 10" or 12" to fit, the Kicker CVT 12" is 4 5/16's, so three 12's sealed is even possible.
um............

1) Thats why I suggested a box as a center console between the seats bc that is what I have and then the depth doesnt matter.

2) No way would 3 L7's be louder than a soloX. First that is not what they are designed for and second they do not have the motor structure to push enough air.

3) If you read his first post you would realize that he has a nitrous bottle behind the passengers seat so 3 12's is out of the question and 3 10's would be pushing it surface area wise.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
um............

1) Thats why I suggested a box as a center console between the seats bc that is what I have and then the depth doesnt matter.

2) No way would 3 L7's be louder than a soloX. First that is not what they are designed for and second they do not have the motor structure to push enough air.

3) If you read his first post you would realize that he has a nitrous bottle behind the passengers seat so 3 12's is out of the question and 3 10's would be pushing it surface area wise.
a) does he have bucket seats, and the ability to inforce the weight of the Solo X cone, much less the power?

b) yes it would, sheer cone area on three 8's (in the right space) will and can be louder. Look at sheer cone area.
enough motor structure, sure they do....they have enough motor to cool the VC while in the gap, for rated Xmax. Why do you need more motor strenght? Any more is just <awe> factor.

c) to properly feed a Solo X 10", you need upwards of 2.5/3.0 cu.ft, so three CVX 10's in 1.0 sealed, is more cone, more motor, more Sd. in the same space.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blueflamed03
a) does he have bucket seats, and the ability to inforce the weight of the Solo X cone, much less the power?

b) yes it would, sheer cone area on three 8's (in the right space) will and can be louder. Look at sheer cone area.
enough motor structure, sure they do....they have enough motor to cool the VC while in the gap, for rated Xmax. Why do you need more motor strenght? Any more is just <awe> factor.

c) to properly feed a Solo X 10", you need upwards of 2.5/3.0 cu.ft, so three CVX 10's in 1.0 sealed, is more cone, more motor, more Sd. in the same space.

a) All the newer body style trucks (except possibly the "work truck" edition) have bucket seats if you remove either the center console or the center seat whichever the case may be. Also, there is no double baffling necessary if the baffle is only 14" and is braced with the port wall as it would be between the seats.

b) If I understand you correctly I can go buy a $50 15" sub and since it has more cone area and has the right motor to cool the sub (which all subs do or it wouldnt be in production) it will be louder than my soloX? Think about that one for a minute.

c) 3 cvx 10's would get close to being the same output, I have seen 3 hit in the mid 140's but going back to your <awe> factor in part b, why have 3 subs when you can just have one?

In any case this is all pointless bickering and simply cluttering up the OP's thread.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:33 PM
apple bottom jeans

More surface area is almost always louder. I could take two 15" volfenhags and most likely be louder then any non SPL sub...aka any daily sub. And volfenhag makes crap. We all know that. More surface area = louder.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by larsy87
More surface area is almost always louder. I could take two 15" volfenhags and most likely be louder then any non SPL sub...aka any daily sub. And volfenhag makes crap. We all know that. More surface area = louder.
its on a case by case basis though. my point is 3 L7 8's would not be louder. My buddy has one and I am not impressed with it at all. I am sure your 2 15's would be louder, but then again I could throw 10,000 watts at my soloX and it would be louder. So it just depends on the set up.

I just dont see 3 L7 8's hitting high 140's. there are some 8's that would but not L7's.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

those sound badass, but i gotta keep the center console and the seat, i like i too much. i got the middle and behind the driver seat for space, the bottle is behind the passenger seat on the wall. so thats real limited space, i think id for sure want a 12in and a badass box but i fnt kno what box to get. probox?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

and 1bad5.3 please post those pics for me. id appreciate it, thanks

Quick Reply: what setup? reg cab 05.