STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Where to run electrical cable through firewall??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to run electrical cable through firewall??

Where is there a spot to run a coax cable through the firewall on a 2006 Sierra 1500? I'm installing my cb under the dash on the drivers side and I am trying to find a spot to run the coax cable trhough the fire wall, down along the frame to the back of the cab, and then come up between the bed and cab to connect to my antenna. Anyone know of any area i can run it through the firewall or an easier way of running it back?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Why not run it inside the cab along kick panel, then down in channel under doors. It is a clip together truck and in about 30 seconds you could have it apart and wire ran to back of cab. Then small hole out back and done.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

yeah I would take off all the drivers side door sills and kick panels and run it down that.

BUT, if you want to run it through the firewall. If you open up your hood, theres a big gromet on the drivers side, I think its where the wire harness goes in. You can just use a razor and cut a small hole and then put the cable in that.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the ideas, I was considering both but i think I'm just going to run it through the cab and drill a hole in the back.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a thought, but if you drill a hole in the back it would be more exposed to the elements than a hole under the hood. I would probably go under the hood for that, since GM trucks are known for leaks as it is.

On the gromet under the hood where the harness goes through, that is a double gromet and has rubber on the inside and outside. It can be gone through, but it is also a pain to do so. If you look under your dash on the firewall you will see an almost diamond shaped removable part of the plastic and insulation which when pulled will expose an easily accessible flat spot on the firewall. I always drill there for wire runs, it seems to be the easiest place and there is no way to cut into the main harness of the vehicle that way.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bluestang50
Thanks for the ideas, I was considering both but i think I'm just going to run it through the cab and drill a hole in the back.
...and pray the hole doesn't take on water.

I would cut a hole in the gromet Spitfire mentioned. That's easy to do. I would put the return wire through it as well and run it under the vehicle. Black wire loom & Zip ties... you're done.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help guys. I actually did it today and just ran it out the back, i got a gromet to hopefully keep it from leaking. When i run the wire for the PA I will go through the spot yall recommended.