STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Who else has a bunch of stupid GM electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who else has a bunch of stupid GM electrical problems?

Mostly annoying stuff...I've needed a power mirror switch for some time now...really have to press hard and mess with it to get it to work. I also had to replace the entire driver's side latch/lock assy a few years ago as the courtesy switch that turns the dome lt is housed in there and decided to short out and keep the dome lt on with the door shut. About a year or so ago my master window switch started giving me problems that mysteriously went away, and I've had numerous bulbs in the dash give me headaches. First, half the lights for the the 4wd switch, now the light for the fresh switch for the hvac blend door. Now I'm having a problem with the passenger's side door lock...doesn't always lock. I started messing with the switches today and as it got hotter it started to slow and stick while locking, and not lock at all. Last I checked it worked after hitting the switch a few times. (more than likely needs the same latch/lock assy that I replaced on the driver's side a few years ago).

The up side is that most of these parts are fairly inexpensive...if I remember correctly, that latch assy was less than 50 bucks a few years ago. The same part from a Toyota dealer would be at least $130. Same with the 4wd switch...less than $40...maybe $30ish. Another plus is that it's usually easily diagnosed parts issues as opposed to deep in dash wiring problems.

Oh yea, my driver's side window regulator is starting to slow down when going up and making a slight grind noise when bottoming out after going all of the way down...something to look forward to in the future, as well as the flaky gas guage (keeps working though, so I'll live with it until the fuel pump takes a poop, unless it completely stops working first)

Well, it could be worse I guess...it could be a Volkswagon (electrical nightmare)
Old 07-11-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problems that I have had is the fuel sending unit and the fact that all my lights that illuminate the A/C, radio, and window switches have started going out.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

your certainly not alone...i have mirror problems, pass side window stops working when it wants to...and my gas gauge is a joke.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Teching In

I Have An 04 Z71 And The Only Problems That I Have Had Is That One Of The Bulbs In The Instrument Cluster Has Gone Out And Now I Have A Dim Spot On It And Also Two Of The Lights On My Stearing Wheel For The Volume And Stuff Have Gone Out. O Yeah And I Have Had To Replace The Cruise Control Switch Twice. Does Anyone Know How To Change The Bulbs On The Stearing Wheel.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Truck addict

fuel sending unit probs, mirror movement switch probs. window up/down switch prob for the drivers window. passenger window is fine. other than that, no other electrical gremlins for me.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:21 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I've noticed is on rare occasion my seat heaters ( ) wont work, restarting the truck solves that issue.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:50 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

these are my issue's

1. ONstar malfunctioning (always says "phone unavailable")
2. drivers power seat does not work
Old 07-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Truck addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
these are my issue's

1. ONstar malfunctioning (always says "phone unavailable")
2. drivers power seat does not work

your too heavy for the seat.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

slooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww windows and sending unit is all I have had to deal with but then again in the 2 years I have had the truck is has been down a year(mid aug. it will be a year )
Old 07-17-2006, 11:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
slooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww windows
My passenger side window always beats my driver's side on the way up lol. I pull the buttons at the same time and let em race I forsee a l/f window motor/reg in my future...it makes a slight grind when it bottoms out after auto down. Been doing it for a while though (if I was smart I'd fix it before it breaks, but that would cut into my mod budget!)

Quick Reply: Who else has a bunch of stupid GM electrical problems?