STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Who has added an amp to their NNBS BOSE system???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does wonders for voice speakers
Old 09-03-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course I will be changing them, just wondering if the RCA's off of this unit are full-range, low, or if they will even work coming off of a factory nav unit with bose.

The "wonders", are the reason I am doing this.

Last edited by gnasty1521; 09-03-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Off of the PAC unit I mean. I realized I did not specify.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

idk about that specific pac unit, but i dont thing a line out off of the factory sub feed will send full range as the signal going into it isnt full range, however if you spliced into the lines for your front door speakers that would produce you a full range signal. but then again, honestly, if you're already going to be using a low range amp for a sub and a full range for some amplified door speakers, at that point, get a good deck and wire completely around the factory crap. I had bose in my 06 (ya ya ya i know its not nnbs) it was alright, but when i went fully amplified his and subs i just got a good double din and completely wired around the factory bose everything, now the signal just comes from the head unit out the rcas to the amps... the way a really good system should be lol
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

annnd upon closer reading i now realize you're trying to retain factory nav and build a good system around that... first off, good luck, second off, at that point, id def go JL cleansweep. Im not sure if it will give you the same quality signal a good aftermarket headunit will, but it will surely beat some line outs tapped into the factory harness. Beyond that, id say sell the nav unit on ebay for like 500 plus like some of them seem to be going for and get yourself a nice double din. Im not sure what your truck has in the way of features, but it could save you some serious headaches. However i could see why you would seriously want to retain factory nav, cause it does have features no aftermarket nav does, like knowing when you need gas for example, and if keeping factory nav is your ultimate goal, then id go cleansweep for sure...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man your interior is so pimp you might as well go with a new headunit with an even nicer display!

Upgrading your headunit will immediately make your highs sound better and your subs will sound sooo much better. It's just a better building block for the whole thing. And I bet you could get some nifty video/movie/nav capabilities in there too
Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually heard an Avalanche the other day, and he had a Factory Nav unit, with no BOSE, never knew they had that... Either way it sounded awesome, and all the highs were off of a JBL 6somethin, infinity speakers. It was plenty loud and clear. I enjoy having everything I do, Nav, Bluetooth, XM, and Rear Entertainment. The only things lacking are a rearview camera (solved with a Lockpick Gen 6), and enough highs to keep up with the subs I just put in (enough to make your nose itch, and maybe wish you weren't in there after a while).

I was talking with the installer, and just a head unit is $450 parts & labor + the head unit (probably north of $900-$1000). Then I would still have to get an amp, and the interior speakers. I am pretty sure I can acheive the necessary results (tunability through crossovers in a highs amp anyway) through much cheaper means.

I could install it all myself, but nothing carries any sort of work warranty, and the module ($150), steering wheel control module ($80), and the interface for the rear ent ($40), would only save about $150. Also with everything being databus I can screw something up easy.

The PAC unit is $35, and from there just running an amp, and interior speakers -AND- I keep all of the functionality. These things never all come with a head unit, and right now they all work. Just finding a cheaper alternative before going extreme. Hope that sums it up.Stepping down now...

Oh, and thanks for the compliment!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

wow, that installer is full of SH*T... understand that if you bypass the factory bose, then you dont need the fancy hi dollar installation harness cause all that does is give you rca inputs into the factory amp, if you bypass that you can use the normal cheap harness as its only used for power, turn on signal illumination and ground essentially, and all speaker signal output goes through aftermarket rca cables directly to the aftermarket amp. i installed my pioneer avhp-4300DVD brand new myself with all install equipment, back up camera, and bluetooth module for under 500. including the purchase price of the head unit, if you wanted it with the nav it would be around 700 750ish... which i understand is a pretty good penny to lose rear seat entertainment and a few other features, but for the quality increase its not that bad. i had the 6 disc bose with no nav though and i never used (or paid for) xm or onstar, so it made sense to step up to the touch screen. If you were local to Los Angeles i would say go hit the electronics district down there, absolute cheapest place for aftermarket audio ive ever found, even cheaper then ebay (by alot)... but its been my experience that getting good quality out of a factory deck is a very difficult and expensive endeavor, however i have heard pretty good things about that jl clean sweep...
Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

however, if you do decide to run the factory head unit without a clean sweep, then id suggest getting yourself a really nice signal processor.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I use XM, and bluetooth is a part of the OnStar module. I will see how this turns out and get back to you guys to see if the myths are debunked or dignified. Either way, the wires will be pre-run anyway to the locations they will need to be if I go with an Aftermarket Head Unit. Give me two weeks, and it should be in at that point.

My problem now is deciding what interior speakers to run and what type, as there are so many good brands to choose from, ya know? Looking for something maybe component, front and rear, but relatively budget-minded, with quality to boot. Probably end up going with the Polk DB6501's front and rear.

Quick Reply: Who has added an amp to their NNBS BOSE system???