STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Why does the stereo in my truck suck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does the stereo in my truck suck?

I have a base model 04 RCSB truck with the single disc cd player and AM/FM radio. The stereo system in my truck sounds like a damn tin can. I know how to operate all the settings on the stereo and go through all the sound modes and it still sounds cheap. My 03 GMC Sonoma SLS reg cab truck really bumps hard (for a factory stereo) but the one in my silverado sucks. Does this have something to do with the fact that I have a base model truck? I tried shining a flashlight in my door panel speaker grilles and I can see there's a tweeter but it looks as though I have plastic filler plates in place of where a 6 1/2 inch speaker should go. Or do they put fabric over the speaker so its not visible? Does anyone else have a base model truck? Can they verify this for me? Do I have a cheaper deck in my truck since it's a base model? Are the speakers cheap or junk? I can't believe the sound difference between my 2 trucks. Also, since we're talking about this. How hard would it be to install a factory BOSE stereo? Is the deck any different? Is there an amp that I need to install? Can I just plug the speakers in my deck I have now and expect it to work? Thanks!

Joe
Old 01-10-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine sounds fine but on my RPO code list it says highperformance stereo.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Tribe Shaman

i had to replace my speakers in both doors with in 3 months after i got my truck, the speakers riped right around the out side edge, sounded like radio kazoo with all the buzzing.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

there is fabric covering ur speaker and sound like crap is typical of stock no offense, I had the bose system in my truck i couldnt stand how bad it was i riped it out in the first month of owning my truck,

you can read through this thread theres some good info in there on what to do
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...aker+questions
Old 01-10-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the base model...radio only and it sounds better than I thought it would. I had a Sonoma that I put a Pioneer deck (50w x 4 ) and upgraded the door ones with Sony Xplods and the dash ones with Jensens,I think. Sounded noticeably better but the stock junk didn't sound too bad. Maybe some of the stock stuff is damaged.
I don't run mega-power stuff so you might be looking for much different results than me.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

No, my stuff is mainly classic country and musical scores from my favorite movies. I like a little bit of a rumble but not a tin can sound like an old 1930's radio. So hard would it be to do a factory bose install on my base model truck? Anyone know what parts I'd need?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hirdlej
No, my stuff is mainly classic country and musical scores from my favorite movies. I like a little bit of a rumble but not a tin can sound like an old 1930's radio. So hard would it be to do a factory bose install on my base model truck? Anyone know what parts I'd need?
Definitely must have something wrong with the stock stuff. As far a Bose,you can talk to some install guys and get some good info. Also,there's a lot of good stuff available that'll sound very good and be a lot less money than Bose. Well anyway,good luck on your new set-up.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

to even fuss with the bose wouldnt be worth it, I would have gave u my stuff but i tossed it, but you have to go through and mount the bose amp and run the wires from that to the speakers and have a big hassel for mediorcar speakers, if you wanna do it simpl just get some decent after market 6.5s ( hopefully components ) and be done with it.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Stock stereos suck! They just do

You're only real hope of beter sound quality is a new head unit and speakers. Even a good head unit (with x-overs built in) will help the stock speakers sound better.

For budget builds we usually swap out the font speakers, add a sub and a small amp to power it. If you mainly listen to classic country (zero bass) then the sub prolly wont be of much use. Get a good deck and the best front speakers you can afford.

Just keep in mind you have an 04' GM which uses the class 2 databus system so install of the deck will be pricey because of the adapters you'll need.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

I have a Work Truck, and the stereo sounds great! Awesome bass and clear crisp sound.
Philip S.

Quick Reply: Why does the stereo in my truck suck?