STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Will aftermarket deck ruin sound quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Formerly 08_gmc_slt-08/20/2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will aftermarket deck ruin sound quality?

So when I had my 02 Camaro, it had the Monsoon system in it. I purchased an Alpine deck and my sound quality reduced dramatically (less bass, sounded muffled) so much so that I put the factory deck back in.

So now I have an 05 Sierra with the Bose system in it. I am wanting the Alpine IVA-W200 but have reservations if the same thing is going to happen. Does anyone have any experience with this in their trucks?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you previously account for the remote located amp in the monsoon system? the Bose system is set up the same way, they have remote located amps that the head unit feeds into, if you bypass the stock amp there is no reason why the sound quality would degrade when using a quality aftermarket deck.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:12 AM
11 Second Truck Club

i've added an alpine deck to my truck. sounds a little better than the factory one although it's an '02 model deck.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

I be surprized if it actually sounded worse. I just can't stand the way aftermarket decks look. 50 dinky *** buttons all over the thing.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also whats with all of the little dolphin animations, or the riceburners racing down a hill, or waves crashing??

you want me to buy a head unit... gimme a animation of a chick screwing a midget...
Old 10-17-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
Also whats with all of the little dolphin animations, or the riceburners racing down a hill, or waves crashing??

you want me to buy a head unit... gimme a animation of a chick screwing a midget...

my pioneer i can make custom animations.... i have one of my truck doin a durn out
Old 10-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Formerly 08_gmc_slt-08/20/2010

Thanks for the replies! Now how hard to install? Since this is a DVD player, how can I bypass the whole "emergency brake on to watch" thing? Would like the wife to watch while we are driving.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by exhappen
I be surprized if it actually sounded worse. I just can't stand the way aftermarket decks look. 50 dinky *** buttons all over the thing.
Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83

Pretty much the reason I went with I upgraded to a higher-end factory deck...that and the theft concern. Seriously, how the F*** do people drive around with those damn animations playing? Fortunately some of the newer aftermarket stuff is not going after the 12yo market.

With regard to Bose integration, check out soundgate.com, pie.net, and pac-audio.com for the various interfaces. I forget all that's available, but you'll need something to adapt the new deck to use the Bose speakers. If such a device is not available, you'll need to replace the amp & all the speakers as well.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

you will have to find a bypass switch because its an alpine (they require you to press the brake then the ebrake then let go of the brake) also the passengers view isent that great due to the angle on the dash.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know much about the alpine dvd players, but on my pioneer avic n2 i got a circuit writer pen and connected two little points on the back of the unit and connected the parking brake wire to the ground wire...

Quick Reply: Will aftermarket deck ruin sound quality?