Texas We've Seceded from the Union

anyone done any fiberglass work? boat project

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anyone done any fiberglass work? boat project

looks like I'm going to have another project and start working on this little beauty pretty soon. My uncle gave it to me, my dad built it... I can't wait to get something going with it. Needs a little work, nothing major other than I will replace the transom. All the rigging will have to go, might keep the cable steering though. Power will be black, and nasty...

I'll update with some pics once I get in to the project... anyone else on here have any cool boats?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you replace the transom, try to make a frame it in place so it the hull stays the same shape. I cant see the pic here at work but will check it out later. If you have do any gelcoat repair use the mylar sheets to keep the gelcoat from getting tacky on you.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a jig that my dad used when he was building and repairing these boats that was used for transom replacement. drill out rivets holding deck on, throw a couple 2x4s in there and screw the lip of the hull to them and good to go.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still got the Bullet
Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your dad built the hull?? Looks to me like a mid 70's early 80's sleekcraft tunnel bottom/ hull.. If you plan to put any kind of power, or run in the 65+ range(which should be easy with a 200hp outboard) a hydraulic or ram steering is a must... Replace the transom with good MARINE grade ply wood 1 inch thick, double 2 sheets up, then use epoxy fiberglass(west systems) or a similar epoxy resisn. Use epoxy as it is up to 3 times as strong as a polyresin.. As far as a jig goeas, there should be no reason for one, unless the boat is 100% wood, as that boat looks to be glass ovaer wood. You are not cutting the complete transom away(fiberglass part) Just the wood behined it, so it isn't going to ruin or deform the hull.. Epoxy is more exp but worth it. Take your time, make sure the wood is adhered tight together.. Transoms are a PITA but you have to do what ya have to do. I am in the process of doing the stringers in my boat right now.. As I have done them before.. Keep us posted.. Here is a pic of the boat I am doing stringers in now.. Also shooting for 100mph this year.. Hard to believe its a 87

Also my 32

Had to
Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

bite your tongue calling it a sleekcraft... its an LTV... what kind of boat are you restringing?

I will put stringers in this boat, it doesn't have any now, just a semi-set for a gas tank/battery/seat box mounting. as far as power and hydraulic steering, what ever gave you the idea that it is a must? cable or opposed cable steering is fine. The external pulley cable steering like on this boat is good for what it is used for, not so much a great idea for lake use. I may go with hydraulic on it depending on what motor goes on it.

Tiffo, what bullet you have? 20? what power?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
bite your tongue calling it a sleekcraft... its an LTV... what kind of boat are you restringing?

I will put stringers in this boat, it doesn't have any now, just a semi-set for a gas tank/battery/seat box mounting. as far as power and hydraulic steering, what ever gave you the idea that it is a must? cable or opposed cable steering is fine. The external pulley cable steering like on this boat is good for what it is used for, not so much a great idea for lake use. I may go with hydraulic on it depending on what motor goes on it.

Tiffo, what bullet you have? 20? what power?
20'1" with the little ol Promax

Its only running 85mph @7k rpm on the gps right now but I'm running out of prop with the 26P, I need a 28p to get it up into the 90+ range
Old 05-04-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hoss or Chopper? I've got a 28 Cleaver and 28 & 30 Yamaha Drags at the shop... Those ProMax motors make good power, I've seen some of them in the 240php range stock, not bad for a 225 rated motor.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is just the first thing that popped in my head, as I had a 22ft runner bottom sleek craft. The hulls look pretty similar. Now I look more at your boat, the cockpit is more forward then on a SC, but the hull, chines look really close.. Is this the same LTV that builds bass boats?? That red boat I posted in my post is what I am putting them in. Did the back 2 years ago, now that I am trying to run 100, it was worth a look more forward, glas I did, cuz they were gone.. I am running 80 on the GPS now 30p B1 prop, but the addition of a procharger, box, should get me to my mark.. Hey you do what you got to do if you feel safe going that fast with a cable..
Old 05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't decided a purpose for the boat yet once I get it in the shop... if I go sdba racing with it, I'll keep the Arm steering as it will rarely see the lake, if I build it for the lake I'll put hydraulic on it.

the purpose of the jig is to maintain the tunnel shape, they had a tendency to flatten a tad if not done correctly.

Quick Reply: anyone done any fiberglass work? boat project