Texas We've Seceded from the Union

Chevron,Texaco,Shell,Valero

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me its not about test runs, its about detonation

My truck will ping real bad at about 100 mph without 93, its whatever your tune is setup for
Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4
For me its not about test runs, its about detonation

My truck will ping real bad at about 100 mph without 93, its whatever your tune is setup for
thats what i was thinking that would all be in the tune to me to be able to gain any differences from 93 to 87/89 just bone stock i dont think your going to gain anything from just using 93 imo
Old 07-12-2010, 03:59 AM
TECH Resident

mobil.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never even heard of QT or half those listed till just now, shell most the time, chevron every so often ,and all other only if i have to or its an emergency or something.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coban
My 2 cents:

The only thing that matters is if the gas station has enough business to keep the gas fresh. To put into pipelines, gas must meet certain specifications. No refinery on Earth willingly over-specs a gas because this is known as giveaway and can cost millions of dollars a year. Bare minimum.

You might also notice that some of the mainstream O&G companies don't use additives and you can't tell a difference.... BP, Valero, and I think ExxonMobil don't use them as well as most value brands....
you beat me to it! i just try to stay away from the shittier mom and pop places and what not because a lot of them will put 87 in the 89/93 tanks and call it premium....

if the product meets a certain spec, its gasoline no matter how/what it was made from. to make the gasoline above the minimum specs, it cost more money, time, etc... it just dont happen. all refineries put gasoline in the colonial pipeline and it all gets mixed together. its all the same
Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

I always use shell when I can I noticed a difference when I use it I try to use exxon when shell isn't available then chevron. But to clear up above noted... Valero does have additives from when sold at a valero station. Every station (if mom and pop) or brand had there own different detergents and so forth but the truth is you might see a valero truck dropping off fuel at a qt, chevron station, or racetrac just with or without certain additives and detergents. This is because valero is the largest fuel supplier and many fueli g station willuse valero fuel with their additives or none at all
Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shell gas station on beltway and woodforest or i10 and normandy
Old 07-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
I apologize, I didn't read the entire thread and don't know if it has already been stated that ALL GAS at a given octane IS EXACTLY THE SAME except for the additives.

I will use any top tier gas and use Lucas additive (whether it works or not)
In a perfect world, yes. In practice, it's not. The refineries that service various areas of the country seem to have a big impact on fuel quality by region. Take Wichita for example. There are apparently two refineries that service the city. Fuel quality from one refinery is markedly different than that pumped from the other.

In Dallas/Ft Worth, Chevron and QT seem to be best. The last few times I've been there, Shell has been respectable, but that hasn't always been the case.

In CA, Chevron and 76 are top, Exxon, Mobil are respectible. Shell falls behind, Arco is substantially lower quality.

Southern Arizona, all fuel is bad. It's the unfortunate truth. Love's 90 octane in Albuquerque performs better than any 91 you'll find in Phoenix. Central Florida is similarly afflicted, but not to the same degree.

Kansas City, stay away from any station labelled as 93 octane. Audible pinging with 18* of timing on an LS2 will likely occur. Fuel is sketchy at best in this area.

What I recall from San Antonio, was that Valero was sub-standard more often than not. Great quality fuel was hard to come by.

Chicago area... fill up with whatever you want. Same for the DC area and Pittsburgh (if I remember correctly).

New Jersey, Some shell stations in northern NJ have the worst quality fuel I've ever encountered. Nasty detonation on stock tuning is common. One customer in particular had a company gas card, couldn't use anything else on his Tahoe(s). 3 years apart, exact same fuel situation, so it wasn't just a bad tank or station.

Consistently good quality... Sunoco. If you can find it/afford it, get it. BP has also been consistently "stable".

Fuel that is consistently lower quality... Any station with "Race" in the name, Shell, grocery station fuel in most areas (wal-mart/Marathon and Costco apply).

In areas where gas can be found both with Ethanol and without, the gas without, "pure gas" tends to ping more readily than that with a 10% blend.

These are just the areas that stand out in my memory and are based on many hundreds of tunes around the country with ignition timing and fuel delivery having been normalized. Things may be different now, but at the time, each location had a multitude of afflicted vehicles.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dc_justin
In a perfect world, yes. In practice, it's not. The refineries that service various areas of the country seem to have a big impact on fuel quality by region. Take Wichita for example. There are apparently two refineries that service the city. Fuel quality from one refinery is markedly different than that pumped from the other.

In Dallas/Ft Worth, Chevron and QT seem to be best. The last few times I've been there, Shell has been respectable, but that hasn't always been the case.

In CA, Chevron and 76 are top, Exxon, Mobil are respectible. Shell falls behind, Arco is substantially lower quality.

Southern Arizona, all fuel is bad. It's the unfortunate truth. Love's 90 octane in Albuquerque performs better than any 91 you'll find in Phoenix. Central Florida is similarly afflicted, but not to the same degree.

Kansas City, stay away from any station labelled as 93 octane. Audible pinging with 18* of timing on an LS2 will likely occur. Fuel is sketchy at best in this area.

What I recall from San Antonio, was that Valero was sub-standard more often than not. Great quality fuel was hard to come by.

Chicago area... fill up with whatever you want. Same for the DC area and Pittsburgh (if I remember correctly).

New Jersey, Some shell stations in northern NJ have the worst quality fuel I've ever encountered. Nasty detonation on stock tuning is common. One customer in particular had a company gas card, couldn't use anything else on his Tahoe(s). 3 years apart, exact same fuel situation, so it wasn't just a bad tank or station.

Consistently good quality... Sunoco. If you can find it/afford it, get it. BP has also been consistently "stable".

Fuel that is consistently lower quality... Any station with "Race" in the name, Shell, grocery station fuel in most areas (wal-mart/Marathon and Costco apply).

In areas where gas can be found both with Ethanol and without, the gas without, "pure gas" tends to ping more readily than that with a 10% blend.

These are just the areas that stand out in my memory and are based on many hundreds of tunes around the country with ignition timing and fuel delivery having been normalized. Things may be different now, but at the time, each location had a multitude of afflicted vehicles.
Good info thanks justin
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

I like Shell 93 octane when Eric is buying. When I buy it's Citgo most of the time, and once every 2-3 months injector cleaner JIC. Never had a prob with either.