Texas We've Seceded from the Union

emissions testing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default emissions testing?

If any one here is pretty knowledgeable about our emissions testing please pm your phone numer I have a few questions. I recently had an evap code that I believe is fixed now but still is not in the "ready state" that is failing me. I figured the evap system would have cycled and be in a ready state by now.

Thanks Jason
Old 05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.
To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:
  • Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
  • Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
  • Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
  • Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  • Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  • Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
  • Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
  • Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks...I don't see "evap" in there, but I'd assume they mean EVAP "Purge" Valve test.

Last edited by dewmanshu; 05-14-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
That sucks...I don't see "evap" in there, but I'd assume they mean EVAP "Purge" Valve test.
Thats the test I need to "be ready" or cycle so I can get my inspection done. I have passed inspection past three years with the rear o2 cut off. Have any of the requirements changed this past year?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

the only change that i know of is the you can only have 1 not ready and still pass, before you could of had 2 but it was changed at the fisrt of the year.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Inspection/Maintenance Complete System Set Procedure
Description
The purpose of the I/M Complete System Set Procedure is to satisfy the enable criteria necessary to execute all of the I/M readiness diagnostics, and complete the trips for those particular diagnostics. When all diagnostic tests are completed, the I/M System Status indicators are set to YES. Perform this test when more than one of the I/M System Status indicators are set to NO.

Conditions for Running
Cold Start
• The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 74 kPa.

• The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is below 30°C (86°F).

• The intake air temperature (IAT) is below 30°C (86°F).

• The difference between the intake air temperature (IAT) and the engine coolant temperature (ECT) is 8°C (14°F) or less.

• The battery voltage is between 9-18 volts.

• The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step runs the HO2S Heater Tests and initiate the EVAP System Test.

Preprogramming the scan tool will reduce the amount of time the oxygen sensor heaters operate while verifying the enable criteria.

This step runs the EVAP, AIR and the Oxygen Sensor Tests. The EVAP Test begins once the engine coolant reaches a calibrated temperature. The AIR Test, if equipped, begins shortly after Closed Loop and the indicated speed is achieved. The Oxygen Sensor Tests begin once the engine is at operating temperature, in Closed Loop Fuel Control, and a calibrated amount of time has elapsed.

This step runs the Catalyst Tests. This test runs during the idle period immediately following a cruise period that meets a minimum calibrated RPM and time period.

Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Did you perform the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Check?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Check

Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Preprogram the scan tool with the vehicle information before the ignition is turned ON.
Ensure the vehicle is within the Conditions for Running specified in the supporting text.
Turn OFF all of the accessories, e.g., A/C, blower fan, etc.
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in PARK for automatic transmissions.
Start the engine. Allow the engine to idle for the specified time.
Is the action complete?
2 minutes
Go to Step 3
--

Caution: Refer to Road Test Caution in the Preface section.

In order for the next group of tests to run, the vehicle must operate in the following conditions:

Accelerate at part throttle to 90 km/h (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 10 minutes depending on the start up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.
Is the action complete?
--
Go to Step 4
--

In order for the next group of tests to run, the vehicle must operate in the following conditions:

Vehicle speed reduced to 72 km/h (45 mph) with this speed maintained for one additional minute.
Four decelerations of 25 seconds each from 72 km/h (45 mph) while the following criteria is maintained:
• Throttle is closed

• NO brake application

• NO manual downshift

• Vehicle speed remains above 40 km/h (25 mph).

• After each deceleration period, vehicle is returned to 72 km/h (45 mph) under part throttle acceleration and speed is maintained for 15 seconds.

Is the action complete?
--
Go to Step 5
--

Accelerate at part throttle to 75-89 km/h (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes
Decelerate to 0 km/h (0 mph)
Idle the engine for 2 minutes while the following criteria is maintained:
• Service brake is pressed.

• Automatic transmission is in DRIVE.

Is the action complete?
--
Go to Step 6
--

Observe the I/M System Status display with a scan tool.

Did all of the I/M System Status indicators update to YES?
--
Go to Step 7
Go to the I/M System Set Procedure for the indicated systems that have not updated

Observe the Emission Related DTC portion of the I/M System Status display with a scan tool.

Does the scan tool indicate any Emission Related DTCs set?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
System OK
Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

hope that helps, that info is for a 2004 silverado from the gm service manual
Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replys. Even if I get the evap to be in the "ready" state I think I will fail the inspection since my o2 sensors are turned off/tuned out.
I have passed with this same tune for the past few years but I'm not sure about this time. According to the inspection report the o2 as well as the 02 heater test are not ready. Do you think it will fail if the evap goes to the ready state? I have read thread after thread aout people passing with their o2 turned off/tuned out.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

as long as you only have 1 not ready and no code set it should pass