Texas We've Seceded from the Union

Freaking Dance lessons :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Dude!!! I'm not getting married but I've been taking dance lessons with the Aggie Wranglers (Badass Country dance team here at TAMU) for the past 10 weeks and I have NEVER fought so much with my female. I have two left feet and she has dance background with little patience for idiocy. What sucks is that in country & western dance is that the guy leads and I havent the foggiest clue of what I'm doing half the time so we look like ****. I am getting better but she still needs some patience. It'll take me six or seven tries to get a move down and then I'll forget it a day later. She gets fed up with that too.

What I'm saying is; You're in for one wild ride.

This is the kind of stuff I'm learning though...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdclA...eature=related
Dont worry too much Beau, that picking the girl up and twirling her ****, you'll NEVER use that out on a real dance floor. Most of the **** they did in that video is just flashy stuff for competition and exhibitions, the fun stuff is learning the actual spins, the move where you plant your foot and let the girl fall almost to the ground then pull her back up and go straight into a spin. That one is fun and you can actually use out on a dance floor. The other ones you'll be hitting people in the head all the time.

Leading is easy, just take your steps in the direction you want to go, and to avoid traffic. IMO the best way to learn is to go out to a real bar and watch people dance then go home with your woman and practice in the living room. Thats how I learned, and out in a parking lot with the radio on in the truck, major brownie points were earned that night.

Once you learn to two step, then you can learn to once step where you dance next to each other, Im not too good at that yet, its a PITA doing the pause step, screws me up if Im not concentrating.

Ill be going to CS here in about a month with my roomate, if you want, you can come out with us to Harrys, maybe I can teach you a few things. My girl is a pretty good dancer, Id loan her to you for a few songs to line you out.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice, but I never had any luck being able to learn at home in the living room or anything. For me it was always best to go to local dance halls on off days, like a Thursday or whenever the crowd wasn't very large, and you have your run of the dance floor, that way your not clogging the dance floor and pissing others that can dance off. LOL.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Dont worry too much Beau, that picking the girl up and twirling her ****, you'll NEVER use that out on a real dance floor. Most of the **** they did in that video is just flashy stuff for competition and exhibitions, the fun stuff is learning the actual spins, the move where you plant your foot and let the girl fall almost to the ground then pull her back up and go straight into a spin. That one is fun and you can actually use out on a dance floor. The other ones you'll be hitting people in the head all the time.

Leading is easy, just take your steps in the direction you want to go, and to avoid traffic. IMO the best way to learn is to go out to a real bar and watch people dance then go home with your woman and practice in the living room. Thats how I learned, and out in a parking lot with the radio on in the truck, major brownie points were earned that night.

Once you learn to two step, then you can learn to once step where you dance next to each other, Im not too good at that yet, its a PITA doing the pause step, screws me up if Im not concentrating.

Ill be going to CS here in about a month with my roomate, if you want, you can come out with us to Harrys, maybe I can teach you a few things. My girl is a pretty good dancer, Id loan her to you for a few songs to line you out.
Dont get me wrong, It was hard to lead at first, I have it now. Whats once step? We dont two step too much in my classes becuase its all on a polka step. If you can do it on a polka count, you can convert it over to a two-step count. A waltz is just a long polka step. Let me know when you go to Harry's. We usually go every Thursday.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Typo, meant one step. Its where instead of taking the two steps you take one step and pause for the same amount of time it would take for you to do the two steps. For some reason I just cant get my timing right on that ****. I have no idea what a polka step is, I just get out there and dance.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
....IMO the best way to learn is to go out to a real bar and watch people dance.....
Exactly how i self taught myself, helps to have a girl that knows how to follow as well lol Ive ran into a few who don't get that concept, lets say steel toes work wonders lol..
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats wrong with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHtJi...ture=rec-HM-r2