TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

I did a search and didnt notice any mention of this, so I figured I should post up. Apparently Craftsman hand tools are switching to Chinese manufacture.

I found out yesterday from a tool forum. I know they have been selling imported supplies and larger items for years, but the hand tool line has been synonymous with Made in USA, and since they have other tool lines, I never thought they would ruin the Craftsman line.

To me this undercuts what I have spent decades buying into as part of their warranty, as they will no longer be able to back up the products I've bought with an acceptable replacement.

Its also very underhanded how they plan to take advantage of everyones assumption that Craftsman = USA. They have apparently been subtly removing Made in USA off packaging on US made tools so that as the switch rolls out, it will be even harder to notice. The tools will come in the same basic shape (although as the link below shows, thicker to make up for lesser quality steel, rougher finishing quality and less gear lube), with the same packaging part numbers and price. It doesnt look to be stamped with its new country of origin, they just removed the USA and leave you to assume its the same tool you have been buying for 85 years.

Just thought everyone should know. To me, its an absolute deal breaker. I only support American made tools.

For more pix/info:

Chinese vs. USA Craftsman RP ratchets (PICS) - The Garage Journal Board

Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I quite buying craftsman tools couple years ago due to just plan junk, broke a 9/16 3/8 drive socket and 3/8 drive socket wrench at same time just taking a exhaust clamp off, I've had better luck with harbor frieght tools lately
Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Baltimore Whore

Yep it is a true shame.. I got a set of wrenches over the summer as a gift, once I seen china on them, I took them back.. Not only is it a insult but it is a shame that they would sell out to china to make tools for the fact of making a buck, as if they are not stomping the market already..
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

China is taking over everything in this country, there should be a higher tax for companies having stuff made in china
Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Baltimore Whore

Blame it on out POS US gov't.. I also blame it on some of the US people that do nothing but buy cheap china garbage.. They will figure it out when it is to late
Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If I ever had to take back a Made in USA Craftsman tool for warranty, I would refuse replacement and demand money back to spend elsewhere. If they wouldn't do it, I'd ask to speak to a manager, then throw the tool in the trash can right in front of him and walk out of the store. It wouldn't be a huge deal if they would have introduced a Chinese brand to sell along side their US line, because lets face it, times are tough for companies like Sears. I'm surprised they have lasted as long as they have. But when you take a line of tools that professionals have used for decades and completely destroy their quality, that's just wrong.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Yep it is a true shame.. I got a set of wrenches over the summer as a gift, once I seen china on them, I took them back.. Not only is it a insult but it is a shame that they would sell out to china to make tools for the fact of making a buck, as if they are not stomping the market already..
Yep greedy bastard *****!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow What great news!!!

Pretty soon the kids we make will come out chinese

Our country should be called Chinexico instead of america.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Geez, that brand was as American as apple pie..... No we might as well go to Harbor Freight.....
Old 01-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Apple pie not being american not withstanding the only practical thing to do is to continue to demand high quality from our suppliers regardless of the country of manufacture.

China makes junk when we buy junk, demand quality and they will respond in ernest.

Look at the boom in strokers through the 90s and 00s. When demand for cheap cast stroker cranks for the sbc out stripped our capacity companies out sourced to china. Ofcourse the product was largely sub par but shops and suppliers concerned with quality returned inferior cranks by the ton.

Eventualy the flaws went from well over 9 in 10 To well under 1 in 10 and those were replaced with better product in turn also.

As a humanitarian and an american I also actively support chinese laborers in their desire to improve their living and working conditions. Asside from the concern for the people over there as things inprove for them the ballance between the west and the east will improve allowing less one sided dispersion of laborers and consumers.

Quick Reply: After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese