TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Thats some bull **** right there. F china. They are so messed up over there but to be honest there is a bit of a momentum swing towards things coming back here. People just gotta buy usa made products. I'll gladly pay more. I'm not sure if its local to me or is across the country but our news has a made in america segment where they show and advertise companies and how they support our economy.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schino
Wow. Thats some bull **** right there. F china. They are so messed up over there but to be honest there is a bit of a momentum swing towards things coming back here. People just gotta buy usa made products. I'll gladly pay more. I'm not sure if its local to me or is across the country but our news has a made in america segment where they show and advertise companies and how they support our economy.
I wish I could say that was true but I've worked in retail for a long time. If a customer can save a dollar by buying an inferior chinese product, most will do it. I'm not kidding you, I see it happen every day. Which unfortunately is causing a lot of our once US made products to be outsourced to China, Mexico, Taiwan, and other countries. I blame the companies and the consumers both. The majority of the customers I deal with are cheap asses who will gladly buy an inferior product 9 times out of 10 to save a buck. I know the economy isn't helping consumers spend money, but buying foreign made products is only making it worse. I try to buy American whenever I can as long as the quality is there. Made in USA isn't always the best or highest quality option unfortunately, like it once was. Hopefully the upcoming election will help change that when/if taxation and restrictions on businesses change. I just hope our government is smart enough to realize if we lower taxes on businesses, they'll risk more of their capital in domestic manufacturing and product development. Right now it just makes more sense for these businesses to outsource their manufacturing process to avoid dealing with US policy.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Its almost out of our hands. Most parts are from mexico and out sourced countries. We are driving around and supporting them even when we think we arent. Where do you think most of your performance parts are coming from? Who makes your cam? Your pistons? Look deeper into it..... The options are slimming every day to buy made in USA products.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this fukin sucks,no wonder craftsman is so fukin cheap now
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Wow What great news!!!

Pretty soon the kids we make will come out chinese

Our country should be called Chinexico instead of america.

Whatever, "Mr Chinese headers on my truck....."
Old 01-14-2012, 05:10 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Whatever, "Mr Chinese headers on my truck....."
Well in that case i bought the ones which went faster and it worked, i am faster than you.

330$ vs 1000$ , i just cant go that far to save the country, thats not my fault.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I wish I could say that was true but I've worked in retail for a long time. If a customer can save a dollar by buying an inferior chinese product, most will do it. I'm not kidding you, I see it happen every day. Which unfortunately is causing a lot of our once US made products to be outsourced to China, Mexico, Taiwan, and other countries. I blame the companies and the consumers both. The majority of the customers I deal with are cheap asses who will gladly buy an inferior product 9 times out of 10 to save a buck. I know the economy isn't helping consumers spend money, but buying foreign made products is only making it worse. I try to buy American whenever I can as long as the quality is there. Made in USA isn't always the best or highest quality option unfortunately, like it once was. Hopefully the upcoming election will help change that when/if taxation and restrictions on businesses change. I just hope our government is smart enough to realize if we lower taxes on businesses, they'll risk more of their capital in domestic manufacturing and product development. Right now it just makes more sense for these businesses to outsource their manufacturing process to avoid dealing with US policy.
I was speaking me personally. the general population you are right. 9 out of 10 is prob conservative its prob more like 98 out of a 100 when you consider the whole country. I think you can thank walmart and the other big chain stores for it also because they keep wanting the product cheaper and cheaper. you are totally right about it hurting the already bad economy. made in usa is not always the best but if i can buy chinese for $10 and usa for $13 and they are equal quality ill go usa made. there are way to many bean counters that just look at how to save money in these big corporations. with the government they got their hands into everything. you think they are going to put a stop to something that puts money in their pocket? i highly doubt it. other problems with manufacturing here is epa and osha. yes i know we need safe work environments and all that but think of it a little bit like evolution. if your working stupidly in a unsafe place either dont work there or do something to make yourself safer. I could rant on and on about all the government based reasons why the jobs are going overseas.

on another note a buddy of mine took a job in china as a high position in manufacturing quality. i have a manufacturing engineering degree and he had wanted me to come over there also. id rather not be a traitor and go work for them although the pay was awesome, into 6 figures at 25yrs old all living expenses paid for by them... long story short he could only take it for about a year and a half before i left and came back to the US. not to bad mouth or talk down on anyone but he said it would take 4 of them to do the same job that it would take 1 skilled US worker to do. good thing their labor is cheaper. everything was just so screwed up and *** backwards he had to leave to keep his sanity.

with the work i do at my shop, a lot of aerospace and defense work, we have a few jobs that cant even be touched by anyone that is not a US born citizen. that takes away half of my shop right there but im glad im on the good side of things
Old 01-14-2012, 04:09 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tim z
well in that case i bought the ones which went faster and it worked, i am faster than you.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71

No dont be sad Roger , youve got .7 liters less than i do for now, Im sure you'll be blowing my truck outta the water this summer !! And i will be cheering ya along.

Any way on topic i was shopping at Menards today and thought about this thread, seemed most of the items i picked up were made in china, but surprizingly i did see lots of american made products also.

Its really not our fault, our own government sold us out to the highest bidder, they will always be wealthy at our the working man's expense.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:32 PM
formerly lamborado (1-12-2012)

Great! I just bought a 260 pcs tool box.

Quick Reply: After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese