TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
330$ vs 1000$ , i just cant go that far to save the country, thats not my fault.
Exactly, this is the mentality that most people have about foreign-made goods. And why would anyone want to pay more for a product that is pretty much nearly identical.

Everyone has bought a real piece-of-junk imported product, and regretted it as soon as it breaks. But most of the stuff that is imported is no different the "made in the USA" stuff that demands 3X the price.

And look at imported cars... for a while, they were pieces of junk, but look at them now.... Toyota, Honda, Nissan are very respected brands. When it actually mattered, they found their weaknesses and fixed them. The people spoke with their checkbooks...
Old 01-15-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coban

And look at imported cars... for a while, they were pieces of junk, but look at them now.... Toyota, Honda, Nissan are very respected brands. When it actually mattered, they found their weaknesses and fixed them. The people spoke with their checkbooks...
Those would be JAPANESE cars...a completely different country.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Chinese wife wants to thank you for all your help in supporting the growth of China...

Ok, so maybe she didn't! This is nothing new folks, businesses have been outsourcing and completely uprooting for years. You can only blame you...the comment about the $300 headers over then $1000 hit the nail on the head. Think about anything you do in life, when you shop around, price match, etc. It is the same concept, American consumers LOVE to buy, they also like to feel like they are saving money when shopping around.

Consider electronics, furniture, clothing etc... American workers also want top dollar for what they do, so businesses have to hire cheaper labor (hard to do-unskilled workers, younger people who have horrible work ethics, or illegal help) or they outsource, or completely move their factories. It is sad to think that it is cheaper to pack your things up, open up a new factory, pay for the labor, cost of land, shipping and tariffs.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Introduce a 50% import tax like Brazil and the **** will stop. I like Scotts idea about returning a broken item. Is Kobalt, or Husky made in the USA? I use snapon ratchets, but all my wrenches and sockets are Craftsman

American companies are pretty damn greedy too though, there isnt anything to justify an $1100 header alone
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Unfortunately, Dell has recently gone to Mexico.

I agree, there needs to be a import tax imposed to balance all of this foolishness out. The government needs to quit driving our jobs and our money out of the country like they are.

It hurts everyone from the top down.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

This doesn't surprise me. I broke a Craftsman socket putting a whopping 18 in/lbs on it(3/8 drive). My cousin works for Cornwell, so he'll be getting more of my money
Cornwell Tools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

China will implode soon. the industrial growth is unreal, their water is undrinkable, health hazards are insane. they arent doing it the right way. they cant sustain it, its not possible
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

US labor unions and their pensions make it too expensive for US made things to be competitive....
Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am probably one of the few people that does not mind paying extra to purchase a item made in the US. Since I do work in a automotive assembly plant I guess I have more motivation to support fellow US workers.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

I wont get into the "nuts and bolts" (pun intended) of the China taking of America things but...

Craftsman is indeed ****...Their rachets break like toys and bust the frick outa your knuckles

Quick Reply: After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese