TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

CAD users

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAD users

To all CAD users I have a few questions.
Which program do you prefer, AutoCAd or Solidworks
Are you self taught or did you take classes
How long did it take you to get proficient
What do you think or do you recommend any online courses

Ive been wanting to learn this for awhile so now is the time. Any info you have would be appreciated. I wish I had a copy to play around with.(hint)
Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AutoCAD for me! Self taught but worked in the structural and architectual department of a company so I was surrounded by it. No classes just asked questions and played with it CONSTANTLY! It took me about a year to get really solid on it. I never got too much into the 3d drawings but we would do isometric drawings instead of using the 3d side of AutoCAD.

You can find copies on line that will work. Just need a crack (which can also be found on the net) AutoCad is a LARGE file so pulling it off line is ideal. Unless you want to do the full 3d drawings AutoCAD LT of any year will work perfect for you to learn on. I prefer the somewhat older versions because of their ease of use. AutoCAD 2004LT was the last version I was using. Its a pretty solid program!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

I have been using CAD since 1987.

I used Unigraphics from 1987 until 2006. I then changed jobs and have been using Solidworks ever since. I went from 2D (1987-1989) to 3D wireframe (1989-1993) then to Solid modeling (1993-present).

I used to swear by UG, but now I prefer Solidworks. I used Autocrap a few times and trust me, Solidworks is 1,000X better. Simply no comparison.

I suggest learning Solidworks, they have an online tutorial that comes with the license that is pretty decent. If you plan to make a career using CAD, the number of employers using Solidworks far outnumbers Autocad...and the quality of the jobs is typically much better too.

Pro-Engineer "Wildfire" is another top-notch CAD platform.

What type of Engineering are you going to do with it?

Good luck, have fun!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Launching!

I used Solidworks all through college and during an internship, then at my first job I used pro/e (wildfire 3 I believe) exclusively for 5 yrs. Now Im back to Solidworks. I recommend it 100x over Autocad. Its much easier to learn in my opinion, a lot of the operations and icons are more intuitive, especially when compared to pro/e. Its my personal preference for 3D modeling software.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

solidworks is good. my license ran out which sucks so i use mastercam now which is not bad but no where near as powerful as a dedicated modeling software. like was said they have step by step 'projects' so you learn how to use it from that. if your a student you can get it for a little over a hundred bucks but you will need a relatively new and powerful computer to run it
Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Teching In

I use solidedge at work, but have used solidworks and autocad in the past. Soldiworks is my favorite to work with. It is fairly user friendly and easy to use. The best way to get good at any of them is to just practice. Draw items for your truck, bike, anything. Once you learn basic modelling you can move to complex curves and contours and do some awesome designs. The assembly functions in solidedge/ soldiworks are awesome too. If I was going to buy one package it would be solidworks
Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ive used autocad alot in my drafting classes but to me its an outdated program. i like autodesk inventor much better
Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

I've used NX3 (unigraphics), AutoCAD, and Solidworks. Solidworks wins for me.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned Autocad about 9 years ago I now use Microstation and alot of ArcMap it all depends what field youre intrested in im all about civil and mapping I hate 3d stuff thats why I never really liked any software having to do with mechanical.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Launching!

What are you going to be using it for? 2D or 3D? For 2d drawings AutoCAD is great. But if you are looking more into 3D drawings AutoCAD is lacking.

Quick Reply: CAD users