TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

Cam installation tools?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam installation tools?

Well, I see lots of you guys have been busy replacing you cams. Mine was scheduled for this weekend, but the weather kinda shut that down (No garage here ) Now to the question, what custom tools did you all use to simplify matters. I'm thinking about picking up some since I may be doing this myself.

Here's what I'm looking at getting:

JPR's LS1 cam installation tool

Who has successfully used these on the 5.3 and 6.0's? I heard of someone's not fitting. Someone has made one too.

Not sure if I'll have room to use on of these, but if the price is right.
Cam Installation Tool:

or
Old 02-16-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn! There's a thread in Truck Performance. That's what I get for being away from the board for a few days. Thanks tuckerwilliam.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

OBX, not a big deal!! I'll forward the PM I got from FAst4.8 to you! Hell, I just beat you to the punch!
Old 02-16-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM received. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't use any of those tools. With that thing on the end of your cam it want clear the a/c condensor. I do suggest you have several 8mm sockets, I
broke three on the rocker bolts. Use timming cover bolts in the end of your cam spin it about 5/6 times and pull it out, Have your new cam well greased and replace at once my lifters stayed up and I have a high milage 5.3. The only special tool you will need is a good spring depressor,and a long pull handle.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TnTrk53
I didn't use any of those tools. With that thing on the end of your cam it want clear the a/c condensor. I do suggest you have several 8mm sockets, I
broke three on the rocker bolts. Use timming cover bolts in the end of your cam spin it about 5/6 times and pull it out, Have your new cam well greased and replace at once my lifters stayed up and I have a high milage 5.3. The only special tool you will need is a good spring depressor,and a long pull handle.

LOL at the 8mm sockets. DON'T USE 12 SIDED SOCKETS!!!!!!!! ust use the water pump bolts to hold the cam. No need for that tool.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TnTrk53
I figured as much with those handle tools. Gonna pick up a half dozen 6pt 8mm and 10mm sockets along with some other goodies while at Sears Wednesday. Need to return a broken ratchet and socket that didn't survive the header install.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tuckerwilliam
OBX, not a big deal!! I'll forward the PM I got from FAst4.8 to you! Hell, I just beat you to the punch!
Could you also forward the PM over here! Thanks....my e-mail is thunderfoot1@hotmail.com