TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

Small Fluid Bed Plans/Powder Coating Cheap! $50 and under

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Dewey!! I dont care what anyone says about you....... ur not too bad!! JK..... I think Im gunna need another white decal, how many you got left??

Tony

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Hey thanks again for the plans Tony, looks like a pretty simple project and a cool little setup, maybe I'll give it a shot this spring or summer
Originally Posted by dewmanshu
link in your original post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

Could you describe the process of coating say, a fishing lure, from start to finish? I can't be the only one to which a fluid bed is completely foreign. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Its the same way that you would paint a lure or any other object with any other type of media, except with this you are going to be dipping the item into the cup and pulling it out of the "boiling" power coat. The particles get suspended and blown around the cup creating a boiling or rolling motion .. this is when your system is set, I think this is when the particles are at the smallest so they are the ones that get suspended in the cup and the heavier power particles seem to drop - not sure if thats scientific enough or not rofl.

Normally with painting other media you can just paint over color over color, with painting with powder coat using this system is hard because you need to bake the paint partially to set it and cure it once its put on the item. I really only use this for jig heads(Solid color), I would post up a vid but i have mine already packed up since the end of last fishing season, and I am moving in march and cant get to my fishing stuff till after I move.

So far with the powder coat I have just experimented or tried to figure out ways to use multiple colors and have found that unless you want to have a solid undercoat and maybe a light mist of a new color over the base coat you could do that in one shoot. I have been dipping the jigs in the basecoat(black - fully submerged) and then take the jig head and bake it for a short amount of time for the pain to start to adhere and then you can mask off and dip it again in other colors but have only tried to do this a couple times. Remember to bake your paint to cure it, it shouldnt take more then about 20 minutes in the oven or similar appliance. Baking time will depend on the paint product(s) used and thickness or amount of powder coat that has stuck to your object. Another hint, Do the same process with a clear coat to keep the powder coat a little extra strength.

Tony

Sorry that I am not really a huge help with this guys, I just use mine to paint my jig heads since I can lower a good number of them at the same time into the cups to paint 10-15 at a time.(Notch 2 small "U" shaped groves at the top of the cup. Now take a piece of wire , stick , anything sturdy enough to support the weight of the jigs[hanging hook side on the wire] and use that to lower your jig heads into your boiling paint.)
Old 01-08-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

It's just that I never heard of it. I see in the link that I posted the part is preheated, and I was wondering if you preheated because I couldn't see such small parts retaining heat long enough.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

No the setup that I have posted does not have a preheater, but if you wanted to you could pre-heat the items in the oven if you really wanted to, For what I use it for I dont bother, I just bake the paint after dipping.

Tony

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
It's just that I never heard of it. I see in the link that I posted the part is preheated, and I was wondering if you preheated because I couldn't see such small parts retaining heat long enough.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Bump!